Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will pole beans grow across the ground?

Posted by Johnny_Reno USDA 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 19:17

Hi,
I am, or was, growing a 3 sisters garden. It went pretty well but the corn has already produces but the beans have not.

My corn stalks are all fallen over now along with the beans. The beans are sort of up off the ground and flowering, but no beans yet.

It is pretty hot here now so that may be why there are no beans yet. I am just wondering if this happened to anyone else and if the beans will grow.

I am trying to decide whether to pull them up and start over with a trellis or just let it ride.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will pole beans grow across the ground?

Of course. If they cannot find something to climb on, then they will crawl/sprawl

o

I'd be tempted to carefully push some of those bamboo garden poles down into the ground here and there amongst the beans.

o

OK. You do not need necessarily a fancy trellis. Just sticks of wood, twigs, a broken tree branch, etc... here and there. The beans will grab them and climb

Or you can drive some stakes here and there, weave them together(running twines from the upper most end(like clothes lines), drop twine down from those lines(put a stone or brick on it on the ground so winds won't blow them away), voila! you got a trellis.

o

Thanks for all the feedback. I let them go for a while but pulled them out.

Added compost and replanted a variety of other veges. I think it was just too hot for anything to happen, but since the solstice things are coming back around.

My melons are almost done and I think I will replant beans in that bed with a cattle fence type trellis.

Thanks again,
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here