Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smokymist

Envy Soybeans

SmokyMist
9 years ago

Just had to share...as this if the first year we have tried growing soybeans in the garden. We love eating edamame, so thought, let's add them to the garden. We tried the 'envy' variety, and not only where these robust, hearty plants that were nearly disease and bug resistant, but they really produced. It was both a sad day and a happy one when we harvested, as you know, having to cut the entire plant down to harvest all at once. I was wondering what other varieties those in zone 7 might have tried ? I'm actually going to plant a few rows tomorrow and hope for a harvest before frost.

Comments (7)

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

I am in Ga but close enough to compare. I planted Butterbean Edamame on 4/26 and harvested mine on 7/6/14. This was the first time I ever tasted Edamame and they were delicious. I had fantastic germination when I planted them in the spring. I tried a second planting (of Envy) but only 2 germinated out of an entire package. I don't know what I did wrong this time but will try again next spring. Thanks for your edamame primer Zeedman.

This post was edited by yolos on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 21:33

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Growing Tohya. Ready to harvest,but haven't yet. Good germination, vigorus growth, adequate yield.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

This year I am doing a second trial of "Gardensoy 12", which was struck by disease the first time I grew it. Also "Cha Kura Kake", an early variety with bi-colored yellow & brown seeds. Both have pretty good stands, and are just beginning to flower... it will be quite awhile yet before they are ready to harvest. Both are seed crops, so I'll only harvest a few plants for eating.

"Envy" is an early variety, I'm pleasantly surprised that it has done well that far South. Glad to hear that "Butterbean" did well, Yolos, that is one of the better varieties IMO for flavor & yield. Haven't tried "Tohya" yet, something to plan for in the future (hopefully under better conditions than this year).

• SmokyMist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

zeedman I would be so interested in swapping seeds with you next year. Would love to try something new next year.
    I left two plants in the ground without harvesting...as I am assuming that is what i need to do, to let them go to seed ?
    Thanks so much you all. I have really enjoyed hearing about what everyone else is growing :)

9 years ago

"I left two plants in the ground without harvesting...as I am assuming that is what i need to do, to let them go to seed ?"

Yes. As the pods ripen, the leaves on the plant will begin to yellow & fall off, leaving only a stem with pods attached. When the pods become dry, cut the plant off at the ground and place it in a protected location to dry further. When all the pods are fully dry, shell them by hand (my preferred method) or thresh them over a tarp. The seeds will need further drying before storage.

Under some conditions the drying pods will begin to burst ("shatter") while still on the plant, and expel their seeds to the ground. If this happens, harvest the whole plant immediately.

Also, if rain is expected while the plant is drying down, it is a good idea to pick any dry pods, to avoid the possibility of spoilage.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

I also left two plants in to obtain seed from. How can you tell whether you can save seeds from a plant and have them come true to variety next year. The packages do not say whether they are a hybrid or an heirloom. I have one plant left of Edamame - Butterbean and one plant of Edamame - Envy. Both are from Botanical Interests. Butterbean does say it is a cross between an American Soybean and a Japanese Edamame.

9 years ago

All named soybean varieties are stable, and will come true from saved seed - unless they cross with another soybean in your garden. Crossing is unlikely, but it can happen if bees are active, varieties are in close proximity, and the varieties bloom at the same time. "Envy" and "Butterbean", if planted at the same time, would bloom on different dates... "Butterbean" is much later.

Sponsored