Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry and Small Lima Beans in SC

Posted by fishboy2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 19:19

Planted a 50' row in April and they are flowering and yielding little limas or they dry on the vine. My novice theory is they are too close together. They are Lima bean bush Dixie butterpea white.
Thanks David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry and Small Lima Beans in SC

Butter peas are small seeded limas. They are small usually 2-3 per pod but plumper. They are time consuming to pick and shell but well worth it. As far as drying I am assuming there is beans in the pod and you have waited to long to pick Can pick when pods are good and full. I like to test a few pods by shelling thenm to gage fullness. I also pick when a few pods are starting to turn yellow or dry it is a good indication that the majority are probably ready. The dry ones shell seperately and use as a dry lima. The others use as a fresh bean. When planting I usually plant bush types about 6-12inches apart.Hope this helps Rodger another South Carolinian

o

As Roger stated, they are very small seeded lima. I use the same plates in the planter as for snap beans approximately 3 inch spacing.
DixieTedious to pick but excellent eating
white butterpea

o

Thanks for the advise, we picked quite a few last night and they looked great.

o

when limas are going to be used as dry beans in soups, etc...so we have to peel the outer skin off of them like when eaten fresh?

o

Got me on that concept, earth harvest. I have never peeled a lima of any type, dry, or green shelled nor knew anyone who did. We do shell them if that is what you mean. The pods are very tough.

o

• Posted by cabrita 9b & 10a (21 & 23) (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 15:29

Earthharvest, are you thinking about fava beans? favas are the only ones that should be peeled, at least of the beans I have had...

o

hmm...i thought limas had to be peeled too. i tried eating some fresh ones and there was an outer skin on the beans inside the pod that was kind of waxy. i know they are not favas because favas are really fat and the pods are extremely thick walled. the limas are quite flat and very wide.
weird that i think they have to be peeled. i've never grown nor eaten fresh ones before, so don't know much about them.
anyone else know about peeling limas?

o

I'm with farmerdilla here, I have never heard of anyone 'peeling' a lima bean after shelling it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here