Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest these lima beans ?

Posted by smokymist 7 East TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 19:28

This is my first year planting lima beans, as many years as I've had a garden. We planted them in a large raised bed full of awesome soil and rabbit droppings ( as we have angora rabbits ). The Henderson Baby Lima variety. They have done SO well, they are just covered in beans ! I am unsure though of when to harvest them. I have read that you harvest limas before the seeds become too mature inside the pod, but at what point ? I don't want these to go bad on me...also will they continue to produce new beans ? Thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest these lima beans ?

I've always harvested limas when the pod starts to change color... The beans are usually still hydrated...

o

I've always harvested limas when the pod starts to change color... The beans are usually still hydrated...

o

Concur: but you can harvest anytime the beans are large enough to shell out. Henderson's usually sets a second crop after the first is harvested. They don't bear continuosly but in spurts.

Henderson Baby Lima photo henderson_zps286426d4.jpg

o

I agree that they are good at any stage before they start to dry
We let some of the pods of the colored ones turn slightly and the beans acquire their brilliant color
The grand kids love to shell them and have a contest as to who has found the the prettiest
I get sneaky sometimes and add a few white types
That is lesss we have to shell
Charlie

o

Thanks everyone, so basically I shouldn't wait until they are too big, but big enough to have a decent sized bean to eat. Guess I'd better start picking !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here