Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiahomegarden

What is your favorite kind of pea?

georgiahomegarden
12 years ago

What is your favorite pea, and by pea I mean southern style peas? Black eye, purple hulls, crowders, etc. My favorite are white acre peas, they can't be beat in taste and particularly texture in my opinion. Does anyone else have their favorites with recipes?

http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2011/07/best-peas-of-all-time.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Peas Link

Comments (9)

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

White Whipporwill (comparable flavor with White Acre, better production)

Piggott Family Heirloom (deeper richer liqueur, more intense flavor)

Lady Cream (tiny seed, but flavor is exceptional)

These and others are available from a few vendors.
    http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/
    http://rareseeds.com/

darjones

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Hercules, hard to find seeds though. You can get them from Clemson University, if you order early enough.

The white acre peas are tasty but too hard to pick and shell.

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fusion and wertach, thanks for the different variety recommendations. One thing I love about field peas is that there is so much variety and they are so regional. What is hugely popular in one state or even one county in one state, you may not be able to find anyone who has even heard of it in another state.

You hear stories of particular favorites that have been passed down from generation to generation, but forget about trying to find the seeds. It is one of those neat things about gardening in the South.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• jimster
    12 years ago

I have found that Pinkeye Purple Hulls grow well for me, are easy to pick and shell and are attractive and good tasting.

Jim

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim, I am growing Pinkeye Purple hull this year too. They are ok, I like them better than black eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Georgia, I agree with the statement "you may not be able to find anyone who has even heard of it in another state"!

I had to spend 2 years in Alabama with a job transfer, 18 years ago. I am from SC. They had never heard of Hercules! I had my saved seed and gave a few out to the gardeners at work. Planted the rest.

I took some to work in my crockpot and told them to help themselves at lunch time. They went wild over them! The guys that I gave seed to kept the seed from theirs for replanting, because they liked them so much.

One guy called me about 5 years later to tell me He had been giving seeds to his neighbors and friends, and everyone was crazy about them. I am now a legend in Andalusia Alabama! LOL

I wanted to call him for some seed after I lost all of mine due to drought and deer, but I couldn't find his phone number!

• cabrita
    12 years ago

I love the Lady cream peas, followed closely by the pink eye purple hulls, but have not tasted all the cow peas.

I will have to continue buying them, since they do not grow well here at all. They get instantly covered by aphids with ants farming them, last year I got none at all. It has actually been two years with complete cow pea failure, and the year before that we just barely got some.

So embarrassing that jimster can grow them in New England and I can't grow them in southern California!

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wertach, that is an awesome story. I have never heard of Hercules either :)

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cabrita - I have the exact same problem with aphids and ants on my purple hulls. Millions of black ants farming the aphids. My hands get covered in black ants every time I go pick a batch. It is quite annoying, but I still get pods on mine. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH