Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to fertilize my Blue Lake Pole Beans?

Posted by dirt2dirt WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 19:59

Hi..
This is my first year growing pole beans here in WA. I have about 7 plants that are 6 feet high and there's only one flower. Some of the leaves on the bottom near the ground are turning yellow. Is this normal? Are they late? My snap peas are producing just fine and I planted them at the same time (across the yard from each other.) The beans are in the sun for about 7 hours. Other than that, the vine and all the leaves (except the yellow ones) look good. What should I be feeding them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to fertilize my Blue Lake Pole Beans?

Beans need little if any feeding. Feeding will not make them bloom. Depending on the variety, pole beans can take a long time to flower. But when they do, pods follow very quickly. I would not be discouraged yet. If the vines are healthy, you can expect a good crop.

Jim

o

Thanks jimster! I'll keep my eye on them and see what happens.

o

I have several hundred pods on my Insuk's Wang Kong Runner beans. I fertilize monthly using Miracle Gro Tomato & vegetable fertilizer at 20% of the recommended strength, kind of like an appetizer.

o

Once a month I work in a side dressing of an organic fertilizer mix of cottonsead meal, limes, and bone meal. I don't know if I need to do it or not, but the yield of beans has been tremendous.

o

Rereading my post above, I see that I said, "Feeding will not make them bloom." To be more accurate, I should have said that feeding will not make them bloom before they are ready to bloom. Whether feeding produces more bloom once they start blooming, and consequently more pod production, is something I don't know. I'm willing to give it a try.

Jim

o

I do not fertilize mine and they do great. I grow both pole beans and bush variety. To see some recent photos of some of my green bean plants and how I like to prepare them go to: http://indianagardening.blogspot.com/2008/07/this-week-in-garden.html
Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Indiana Backyard Gardening

o

I've given up on Blue Lake pole beans here in the Sacramento area. I always get luxuriant growth to 6'-7' feet tall but very few flowers or beans; literally less than a meal's worth for the whole season. Could be the heat or possibly I need to try another variety...

My bush beans on the other hand, produce so heavily that I need to freeze some and give others away. And it doesn't seem to matter what variety. This year we're growing a yellow wax and a french cut green bean. I just picked another gallon ziplock bag full this morning before coming to work...

Mike

o

Because we live on a very steep slope, we put our pole beans in an old watering trough out on the deck. They really do quite well there, though not as well as if they were in the ground. I wonder if I need to feed them because the foliage is not the deep dark green that I like... should I feed them just because they're not in the ground?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here