Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unclehead_gw

japanese beetle question

unclehead_gw
13 years ago

Two years ago, a friend who lives a mile away mentioned having a lot of JB in his garden. I commented that I had not seen a JB in our yard in years. Wow, talk about jinxing yourself ! Last year we were covered up with the darn things. I had two rows of pole beans and four rows of bush beans. I was determined that I was not going to spray any insecticide and started knocking the JB into a can of soapy water. Before the summer was over I gave in and sprayed Sevin mixed at 1/2 strength. With the long overtime hours at work and the amount of beetles, I would have practically had to live in the garden to have the soapy water method do any good. During the time I was hand-picking them, I removed literally hundreds from the pole beans ,yet didn't find more than 3 or 4 on the bush beans the entire summer. Was this a coincidence or do the pole beans give off a more attractive odor? Someone suggested that they fly in to the tallest plant, but I don't know if I'm buying that. They have just appeared this year and the same pattern is holding. Any ideas?

Comments (3)

Sponsored