Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese beetle question

Posted by unclehead 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 20:37

Two years ago, a friend who lives a mile away mentioned having a lot of JB in his garden. I commented that I had not seen a JB in our yard in years. Wow, talk about jinxing yourself ! Last year we were covered up with the darn things. I had two rows of pole beans and four rows of bush beans. I was determined that I was not going to spray any insecticide and started knocking the JB into a can of soapy water. Before the summer was over I gave in and sprayed Sevin mixed at 1/2 strength. With the long overtime hours at work and the amount of beetles, I would have practically had to live in the garden to have the soapy water method do any good. During the time I was hand-picking them, I removed literally hundreds from the pole beans ,yet didn't find more than 3 or 4 on the bush beans the entire summer. Was this a coincidence or do the pole beans give off a more attractive odor? Someone suggested that they fly in to the tallest plant, but I don't know if I'm buying that. They have just appeared this year and the same pattern is holding. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese beetle question

I tend to believe that. I don't have any bush beans but they love my pole beans and raspberries and I only find them on the higher branches.

Even on my crepe myrtles (which they also love) I only find them higher up.

Just my experience.

Mark

o

I've noticed the same thing in my garden: JBs on the pole beans, no JBs on the bush beans. I don't know why, but the height theory sounds promising. What if we keep the pole varieties on short strings or fences? Oh, wait, part of why I like the pole beans is because you don't need to bend so much to pick them :)

o

Naturegirl, Trouble I have is the deer like the bush beans so they don't have to reach up for the pole beans. LOL I can't win.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here