Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fliptx

Your most heat tolerant beans?

fliptx
17 years ago

What beans have you found to do well in midsummer? My yardlong beans seem to tolerate and even love the heat, but the other beans started kicking the bucket once the warmth and humdidity went up. Should I just plant a whole mess of yardlongs next spring or are there short-podded varieties I should consider, too?

Comments (9)

• rodger
    17 years ago

All field peas do well in the heat, better if they can be keep watered. I say that because it has been so dry I have giving up trying to water the whole garden since most stuff is past its prime. I and am switching my efforts to the peas sweet potatoes and Butterbeans maybe I can salvage some of them. They all do very well in the heat. I have never been succesful growing other beans in mid summer. I can sometimes get a decent fall crop planted now. But with this drought I won't be planting anymore beans. I have 23 varieties of peas and 3 varieties of butterbeans growing. I also have a row of soybeans which have not been watered regularly and they are not as vigorous as they usually are but are doing fine in the heat. The common beans look terrible.
    I have a row of brown seeded half runners that I am growing out for seed. They have been keep watered but with the heat very few beans have set.These were planted first week in June and the vines still look good.This was a bean I was given by an elderly man, who got it from his great aunt. I also have the turkey craw bean planted late May it is turning yellow and has not set many beans. Each year I continue to say I won't plant beans past first part of May but each year I still do, in a effort to try and get some isolation and get seed but they never do well mid summer. Rodger

• fliptx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rodger. :) Are the field peas edible-podded or are they used for shelling? Which ones are your faves?

• rodger
    17 years ago

To my knowledge, you can eat all field peas as snaps in the inmature stage at least I have.When I pick the peas I clean the vines of all peas so there are mostly mature peas ready to shell and a few green inmature pods that I snap and cook with the shelled peas. Field peas or cowpeas or blackeye peas or cream peas or crowder peas are all the same familiy (Vigna unguiculata) just different names to describe characteristics of the peas or regional names. Blackeye types are what most people are familliar with . Crowder are fatter peas lack the distinctive eye and like cutshort beans are crowdered into the pods, cream peas cook down into a good broth or pot liquor, but I think they all do. They are numourous colors and patterns and sizes of peas also. To answer your question on which is my favorite. That is hard to say. I have a collection of 73 field peas. Some I prefer fresh and others are good as dry peas, like whipporwill peas I like fresh and don't care for them dry. The crowder peas I like both ways. Cream peas are delicious but allot of them are small seeded and take some work to get a meal.Of all the peas I least like blackeye and prefer pinkeye in the eye pea. The crowders are all around good eating and I would never turn down cream peas or any other type. Did I answer your question? Rodger

• fliptx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rodger. That was very helpful! Have you grown Zipper Cream peas?

• rodger
    17 years ago

I have sum growing now about ready to pick.

• feldon30
    17 years ago

fliptx,

I'm going to plant wax beans in succession thoughout March and April.
    English peas (snow peas, sugar snap peas) are December 1-January 15th.

• fliptx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I originally asked about heat tolerant beans last year and I wanted to update with my own findings.

Fortex and Cornfield pole-type beans both proved to be very heat tolerant for me, although neither was growing in an area with more than 6-7 hours of sun, which might have helped. I don't know what kind of Cornfield beans they are; the swapper who generously sent them to me had gotten them from a local feed store in bulk and they didn't have any additional info for her. Fortex produced into the 90 degree range, although pods were much reduced in size compared to 75-80 degree production.

Medinah and Jade bush beans were also heat-tolerant for me, although not as much as the pole beans. They got more sun, which is something to consider.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

My rattlesnakes produced all summer and were still producing some when I pulled them down to replant for fall...We had a milder than usual summer but it still got hot...

• jwr6404
    16 years ago

I'm biased and have little,as far as different varieties,experience in beans but the Insuks Wang Kong is heat tolerant if you want a large bean. See thread below.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler