Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supporting my bush beans? Dumb?

Posted by womanhead 5, Northern Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 20:56

I had a great crop of beans this (my first) year. I planted Burpee Mello Yellows and Greencrop. I got about 30 lbs of the green and 40lbs of yellows. While things are fresh in my mind I would like to figure out what I may have done wrong. My first picking was pristine and bountiful. After picking my plants seemed to fall on their sides, and all later pickings had brown spots and some rust. Not a big problem, but I wasted a fair amount of beans. Would running 2 lines along each side to keep them upright be a good idea or over kill? Any other ideas? Thanks Lauren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supporting my bush beans? Dumb?

Mine always get top heavy too and nearly always end up falling over...I suppose the string might help keep them off the ground...you think the brown spots were caused by them being on the groung? Did it look like something had chewed on them or that they just turned brown.

o
RE: Supporting my bush beans? Dumb?

Sorry I should have added that in my opinion the brown spot and rust would probably be caused by a fungus and might need more than just standing up...but you can better determine that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here