Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans: They even grow at night!

Posted by naturegirl_2007 5b SW Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 21:12

This year our Scarlet Runner Beans are easy to see from the house and deck. It is amazing how fast they climb. We looked closely at them last last evening and saw they were 2 inches from the top of our trellis extension. This morning, soon after the sun came up, they were 3 inches past the tops! That much growth would not have surprised me much during a long sunny day, but I didn't expect it during the dark hours of the night. From now on they will have to "run" down. No more extensions or we won't be able reach the beans and harvest them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans: They even grow at night!

We have beans to pick now....and will have to stretch to reach them!

o

I envy you, we're having beans for supper tonite but from the supermarket :(, my runners have just started flowering so it's going to be awhile before we get to eat our own, I can hardly wait.

Annette

o

Speaking of runners, my Sunset runners have just started to flower. It's a light pink. They are pretty, but not as showy as the red flowers of Insuks Wang Kong. Maybe later when they have more flower spikes.

o

Been picking Painted Lady for a week now. A good tip is to plant/sow in batches so one end of the row is being harvested while the other end is just starting to climb. That way we get to eat runners until the first frost. Due to our temperate climate I am also still picking favas and peas.

o

annette
Out of 300 plants I have 1 White IWK. Mentioned it to the Mrs and she knew where she planted the lone white seed. It has 8 flowers on it at this time and with a little luck I'll get you some seeds this Fall season for next year.

o

Thanks Jim, got my fingers crossed :). My IWK (red) have just started to flower, the plan is to eat them this year, I have enough seed saved I don't have to worry about saving any this fall.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here