Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So you can all laugh at this one

Posted by ruthieg__tx z8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 22:16

It's like this...I am somewhat ashamed to admit it but here goes...it's about the name of some peas and beans... you know the ones that are passed down in families....and they have family names... Like Aunt Mazies string beans or Grandma's Smith sweet peas...so I always wondered if the person that the Crowder pea was named for might be kin to me some how....cause that was my name for about 19 years....and I thought it was pretty cool that someone in my family had a pea named after them......so go ahead and laugh...but how was I to know it was cause they were all crammed into their little pod...no one ever told me and I thought quite possibly they might belong to a long lost relative...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So you can all laugh at this one

Maybe your family was named after the pea! :D

o

Yes, that's possible too...where I was born and raised people were often given names of famous people or out of the sears roebuck catalog...I swear this is true...I met a little girl who's name was Pajama.....that's right Paje a Mae....

o

I was just kidding but you are right, there are some unusual names out there. I know a guy named Merlin. And people did used to be given names of what they did for work. Cooper = barrel maker, Carpenter - carpenter, Wood might be from woodsman, and the ubiquitous Smith refers to tinsmith and blacksmith, anyone who shaped metal by striking it. So maybe your family raised big fields of crowder peas? :) Or maybe its a variant of the English name Crowther(p)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here