Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barksdale Report

Posted by dvdgzmn Sunset 17 SF CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 22:24

Hey Macmex, if you're out there, here is a report on the Barksdale seeds you sent me.

I planted them along the same trellis with Trail of Tears and Rattlesnake, alternating 3 plants of each. The Barksdales grew like mad. By the time the other beans reached the top of the 8 foot trellis, the Barksdales had flopped over by 3 feet. The Barksdale also bore fruit earlier than the others. But the good news ends there. The first pods were empty shells, curled into little crescent shapes with no beans inside. Over the next month, full pods developed and they were quite tasty. But then many leaves started to turn yellow then brown (not overwatering -- didn't start at the bottom, and the TOT and Rattlesnakes next door had no problems). The other two varieties are still doing fine, but the Barksdales seem to have had a live fast and die young attitude. Too bad, they really are tasty as you said.

Anybody seen this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barksdale Report

Yes, this happened to me last summer and I believe the problem here was white flies.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: Barksdale Report

• Posted by dvdgzmn Sunset 17 SF CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 23:27

Strange that the flies would leave the TOT and Rattlesnakes alone. Oh well, it's a nice bean and I'll give a few plants another shot next year.

o
white flies

Last year was the only time, in over 25 years, that I've had white flies on Barksdale. I don't know if they are more susceptable than TOT or Rattlesnake beans. But it would probably be worth trying them again.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here