Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowabunga1

My Bean Pics

cowabunga1
15 years ago

Hey I thought I'd show some pictures of my beans. Mostly just blossoms right now. Hope you like them.

~Sam

Comments (15)

• jimster
    15 years ago

Great bean portraits! I've never seen such good ones. Pole beans are beautiful, aren't they?

Jim

• Zinia
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures! The only one I'm familiar with is Rattlesnake--yours is so healthy. I hope you will send more photos so we can see the other varieties bearing.
    zinia

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Great pics! Like Zinia, I'm only familiar with Rattlesnakes poles. I'm going to try them next year.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    15 years ago

Nice photos. With the exception of "M.o.V." (which I have not yet grown) those varieties are on my "best snaps" list. You are in for some great eating!

• alisande
    15 years ago

Great picturesÂvery inspiring!!

• tormato
    15 years ago

Sam,

I'm glad they all look to be doing well.

It's been some year, here. Most of my pole beans will probably wind up with 15' to 20' long vines. I've never had anything longer than about 14'. I think I'll need the ladder. :)

zeedman,

How did Jeminez make your "best snaps" list???

Gary

• phantom_white
    15 years ago

Lovely beans! I wish my garden was as weed free as yours!

Abby

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jimster: Thanks! I was happy with how the photos turned out too. I agree beans are very beautiful.

Zinia: Thank you - the rattlesnakes are my favorite to look at so far. There are gobs of beans and only 5 plants. They were the first to bear fruit also.

Booberry: I would highly recommend the rattlesnake bean. Glad you are trying them next year. This is my first year growing any of these plole beans.

Zeedman: I am impressed by the flavors so far! (only tried the rattlesnake and garafal) I wish I could comment on the Marvels but I am still waiting to see blossoms on them. Hope they get here soon.

Alisande: Glad you like the photos - thank you. I'll have to post some updates as they all mature.

Gary: Thanks for sending these beans for me to try this year. It has been fun growing and showing them to friends and family. You say you have 15-20 foot vines!!? Wow! I'd like to see what you are growing them on. I'm going to have to make something better next year. Something taller for sure. Can you tell me where the Granny's beans came from?

Abby: Thank you. Surprisingly they haven't been too hard to grow this year. My garden is doing 100% better than last year for some reason. I'm using soaker hoses for the first time this year, and I think that helps with controlling the weeds.

I'll have to post some updates sometime this week. :)

~Sam

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted some more photos of the beans here. In case someone reads this thread and is wondering. :)

• drloyd
    15 years ago

Thank you Sam for the beautiful photos. We can enjoy them in the winter and they will remind us of what the world will look like next again next summer.

Jeminez has turned out to be a pleasant supprise. The pods are great snaps without strings even when the seeds are swelling. Mine are separated from other common beans by corn and runner beans, but I am still wondering if the seeds of this notorious crosser will be usable. Do you have trouble with Jeminez crossing with other common beans?

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I enjoyed looking at your beautiful close ups here and on the link!
    Remy

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

Your Purple Pod (Hyacynth)--wish you could put the fragrance on here! Tried them this year for first time and WOW---they're replacing my morning glories next year! Great Beans!!!!!!!!!!! you get my vote!

• tormato
    15 years ago

drloyd,

I've had 1 cross of 275 Jeminez plants.

Gary

• drloyd
    15 years ago

Thank you Gary. That is interesting. Zeedman once reported that he had received Jeminez seed from someone that produced so many shapes and colors that he did not know what it was supposed to look like!

It is a surprisingly good snap and may make some shellies if the weather cooperates. - Dick

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't really comment on the crossing of Jeminez because I planted them in the same row as my other beans and it was my first year growing them. They were definitely one of my favorites for color and taste though. Thanks again everyone for your comments on the pictures. I was happy to show them off. I'm already thinking about gardening for next year. What about you?

Gary: Where did the Granny's purple pod come from? :)

Sponsored