Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery magic bean plant

Posted by dimension70 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 22:27

I was given a magic bean can by a friend. The bean is a dark pink color and very big, around 1 inch. The plant produces really pretty light pink flowers that are large and slightly (and pleasantly) fragrant. The outstanding feature of this plant is the size of the bean pods. They are over a foot long, thick and about 2 inches wide. They are definitely not asparagus beans. The pods are much thicker and wider than that. I'm sure they could be used for a weapon! The pods are green. I have searched the web over trying to figure out what kind of plant this is. It's a vining plant and has large leaves. The beans pictured on all of the magic bean websites do not look like what I have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery magic bean plant

Is it a bush or shrubbie type plant or a bean climbing type plant...the first thing that comes to my mind by your description is that of a mimosa plant/tree...

o

Possibilties include Sword bean (Canavalia gladiata), Jack bean (Canavalia ensiformis) and Hyacinth Bean (Dolichos lablab)My first guess would be sword bean

o

I agree with Farmerdilla; the most likely prospect is the sword bean, which is red-seeded. You can confirm this by looking at the hilum of the seed - it would be unusually long for a bean, 1/4 to 1/3 of the circumference.

There have been several inquiries about beans matching this description this year, most from warm long-season parts of the country - which is a requirement to get seed from sword bean. "Dimension", I am assuming that you live in such a climate.

Be aware that the seeds are poisonous. They are eaten in some cultures (usually immature), but without knowing the proper means of preparation, I would not recommend doing so. The best use of this bean is as an ornamental conversation piece.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here