Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pull out beans?

Posted by ill_gardener 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:29

I am a first time gardener so I need some help. I planted these contender beans (two 10 ft rows) at the start of the season. They look yellowish and the production has significantly dropped down. Some beans which the plants are putting out are soft, small and yellow and do not develop to full grown beans. So my question is should I pull them out now? I have seen in another thread here which said cut it down and they will grow back. I am not sure what to do?

Also from these 2 rows I got about 4 lbs of green beans. Is that reasonable or did I do bad?

Thanks
Sam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pull out beans?

You can try this tip that says to prune the beans down. I stumbled across this on Gardenweb. I tried it just a week ago and the beans look like they are growing back. We'll see but it's worth an experiment to me. :)

Also what type of fertilizer have you used and how's the soil?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tip for beans

o

thanks for the reply. I have not used any fertilizer as I know nothing about that. This year was an experiment for me and trying to keep everything simple. Maybe next year I will use some fertilizer.

So should I pull those beans out now?

o

thanks for the reply. I have not used any fertilizer as I know nothing about that. This year was an experiment for me and trying to keep everything simple. Maybe next year I will use some fertilizer.

So should I pull those beans out now?

o

If you could not make them productive again, DO NOT PULL THEM, just cut them down to the bare ground or lover.

Beans roots have inoculants and also might have fixed some Nitrogen. So by leaving the roots you can help the next planting and as the old roots rot/compost , will release Nitrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here