Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with old pea vines?

Posted by egganddart49 6a NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 22:44

I pulled the vines out today. The harvest is over and the vines have what I assume is powdery mildew. (The leaves were powdery white, but are also getting brown spots -- is this PM?) Anyway, can I compost them or might it spread the mildew?

There were a few pods left, some all dried up and tan. Others still greenish but starchy and old. Some have brown spots on them. If I wanted to save seed, can all of these be saved? Should I let the greener ones dry in the pods? Can the brown spotted ones be saved or do they carry the disease?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with old pea vines?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 13:28

I would compost it by it's self, not in the general compost pile.

o

An image search makes me think the disease is a fungus, probably Mycosphaerella pinodes or Phoma medicaginis (foot rot). I think I'll burn the vines and definitely NOT save the seeds. It's interesting, some fungi spread more rapidly in damp conditions, others in dry. In any case I probably planted them too closely and there wasn't enough air circulation. The harvest was nearing the end, but the last peas to grow were stunted: tiny pods with only one or two peas. I guess that's what happens when the plants are compromised.

o

An image search makes me think the disease is a fungus, probably Mycosphaerella pinodes or Phoma medicaginis (foot rot). I think I'll burn the vines and definitely NOT save the seeds. It's interesting, some fungi spread more rapidly in damp conditions, others in dry. In any case I probably planted them too closely and there wasn't enough air circulation. The harvest was nearing the end, but the last peas to grow were stunted: tiny pods with only one or two peas. I guess that's what happens when the plants are compromised.

o

Personally I'd just chuck the lot on the compost heap. Peas always look manky at the end of the season and I don't think there is necessarily any horrendous problem which will return to haunt you. Also I wouldn't have pulled the peas but cut them off so as to leave the roots, with their nitrogen fixing nodules, to degrade away in the ground. But I am a low input low fuss gardener who tolerates a certain amount of imperfection so you might want to be more careful.

o

Burning is illegal in NY. I toss the vines into the woods. I'd toss them into the compost, but I'm not confident every single pea vine disease organism gets hot enough. In my small garden I don't take chances.

I agree with Flora about cutting the vines and leaving the nodules.

If the peas are a hybrid, you wouldn't get such good peas necessarily, the next year, if you saved the seeds. But it's fun to try and see what happens! Use the ones that have fully dried on the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here