Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom pea identification

Posted by oldpea 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 22:52

After being told by several seed stores that they no longer carried Whippoorwill pea seed and could not get any, I became extremely interested in seed saving.
My first attempt was with a few unusual-looking peas in a bag of mixed peas given to me for consumption.
After much heavy rain, and seeds sprouting in the pods, I now have a variety of very pretty seeds.
Maybe someone can tell me what they are.
There is a strong possibility that I was given peas that were grown, and seed saved, back in the 70's.
1. One matches a desciption of Blue Goose. 2.One is black with red swirles. 3.There's one black with very small white random spots and blotches. 4. A red one with black mottling.
5.A pearly grey with a large, dark black eye. 6. A small tan with brown speckles. A small dark grey with speckles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom pea identification

O.K.. So I left the "r" out of the word description and left out the number 7.
Another question, please.
I remember whippoorwill peas being small, tan and speckled, and they really tasted good.
Does anyone know what a REAL whippoorwill pea looks like?
I really enjoy reading the postings in this forum and the pictures are just great.

o

I don't know much about Identifying your peas but the whipoorwill pea sounds very interesting. You can find a picture of it here. Too bad they are sold out.

o

Southern peas cross pollinate readily, unlike regular (P. vulgaris) beans. So unless you are growing them in isolation, you have mixed peas.

o

Sand Hill Preservation has Whippoorwill Cowpeas listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand Hill Preservation's Cowpeas

o

By the way, the Whippoorwill peas I grew up with were tan with speckles too.

o

After reading my post the next day, I saw that what I was saying wouldn't make a lick of sense to someone else.
Thanks for responding. I do have a Blue Goose and the Whippoorwill pea pictured on the Victory Seed site. Many thanks, cowabungal. I ordered the "whips' from Sandhill, separated the colors, and, planted one color. Waiting to see what happens. Thanks, jwm1960. As for the peas crossing, what I picked looks like some of the very old seed that we have been trying to germinate. No success on the deliberate and much success on the accidental planting of this seed by a young boy. Will try to learn how to post pictures. Thanks, farmadilla, you could be right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here