Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will cow peas bloom a second time?

Posted by jcgator21 6 (IL) (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 23:26

Hello,
I have a 12'x12' raised bed in the back yard, and I managed to squeeze 2 rows of cow peas in this year. I have one 12' row of purple hulls and one 12' row of brown crowders (Texas Cream 40). The purple hulls have pretty much all been pick now, and I am working on the crowders. My question is: will the peas bloom again now that I have picked them, or should I just pull them out and put something else in my limited garden space instead of wasting time waiting for more peas which won't come? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will cow peas bloom a second time?

Cowpeas bloom continuously for about 3 months but with a caveat that some varieties tend to produce one or two huge flushes of blooms and then either die back or else are so decrepit they do not produce significant new beans. Your varieties will re-bloom.

DarJones

o

I would only add that care should be taken when harvesting. Some new buds will develop from the fragile tips of the flower stalks, so try not to break them off.

o

Thank you DarJones and Zeedman. I do see some blooms but it's not as many as when they first came up, it seems. Should I add more Nitrogen or anything to encourage them to flower more heavily?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here