Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Chinese Red Noodle have arrived!!

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 2:49

I know this is supposed to be a question -but- I am excited!! I have my first flush of Chinese Red Noodle Long Beans. I have been harvesting the other long beans for quite some time. In 2009 the Red Noodle will go in earlier or get started inside.

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Chinese Red Noodle have arrived!!

Glad to hear it! I'm still waiting, although they are starting to flower. I got a late start with them. This is my first year growing them. How did you cook them?

o

booberry85,

Have not cooked them yet - waiting until I get a larger amount. I am thinking about stirfry with some winter melon - don't know yet am still reading recipes.

DL

o

How did your Chinese Red Noodle beans turn out?

What recipe did your finally decide to use?

I am looking at growing these for 2009 as well. I will probably start them inside to give them a head start.

Do these plants get very leafy? I am going to grow them on a trellis and I would like the trellis to look filled out, so I am wondering about spacing.

thanks,
Dean

o

Dean, the "Red Noodle" plants are very reluctant climbers, and will need a considerable amount of training, compared to other pole beans. But once they get started, they will fill the trellis. I plant mine 12-15" apart.
Photobucket

o

Have cooked the Red Noodle several times since they first started to come in. Mostly stirfry in small amount of oil with bacon -or- chicken stock.

BUT THEN...............
It got cold here for a week with temps about 40's at night and 60's during the day. I thought the long beans were done but did not pull the plants. Then it rained for a whole day and the temps went up into the 70's for several days -- the Red Noodle made a huge comeback!! I got a nice flush of beans which stayed on the vine for longer than I had ever left the summer beans. These were the thickness of a pencil. They were the BEST EVER!!

I will be growing Red Noodle again in 2009 but will let them get 'fatter' on the vine. The taste of the 'fat' RN longbean is MUCH better than the thin, long RN.

Cheers,
DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here