Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Canned 'Horticultural Beans' Aren't on Store Shelves.

Posted by stickerweed (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 4:43

Interesting reading. My Mom used to raise "horticultural beans" every year and I thought they were the best tasting beans ever!
My question is:
Why don't I ever see these sold as canned beans at the supermarket? I can't even find them as dried beans in a package. I have tried a can of Mayo Coba beans I purchased at a Spanish store in Nashville, TN. and they taste very similar to the horticultural beans Mother used to raise.
Can anyone tell me why stores don't carry these like other canned varieties? I would love to know why they don't.
Thank you!
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Canned 'Horticultural Beans' Aren't on Store Shelves.

Probably insuffienct demand. The shelf space relegated to canned goods has been on a downward spiral for several years. Groceries here carry them as dried beans but sometimes alternate with the similar flavored cranberry beans. There are multiple varieties in each category so finding the exact one your mother grew, will require that you remember some detail. They come in both bush and pole form, but only bush is grown for commercial purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here