Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Saver's Exchange: cooking vs. seed beans?

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 6:42

I see that Seed Saver's Exchange has some of the beans I want to try as both regular seed packs, and listed as "cooking beans".

Regular vegetable seed beans: http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/bean/

Cooking beans: http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/cookingbeans/

From my experience, dry beans purchased in the grocery store will sprout and grow just as well as beans packaged specifically for gardeners. For example, a 1-lb bag of pinto beans from the dollar store worked wonderfully as a green manure planting this summer to revitalize the soil after I took out my beets, radishes and peas in late June.

The cooking beans are slightly cheaper than the vegetable bean seeds. What is the difference here? Why can't I just buy the cooking beans for planting and save myself a few dollars?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Saver's Exchange: cooking vs. seed beans?

If you want to grow for dry type beans, The "cooking" beans should do fine. Not as much care is given to maintaining true seed but that is the major difference. Of course if you are growing snap beans, you will not find them in the dry bean section.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here