Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots and lots of foilage but no beans

Posted by iamzvonko 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 8:13

Hello,

In a 4'x10' raised bed, I have about 5 bush beans and 3 pole bean plants. The bush beans have done pretty well. The pole beans, however have not produced even a handful of beans. They are over 8' tall. THere are plenty of flowers on them but it's not resulting in beans.

Anyone have any ideas why they would be so different in the same soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots and lots of foilage but no beans

Look carefully at the flower ends where the baby beans grow. Look for green stinkbugs which eat the new beans. Tap them into a can of soapy water a few times a day. You'll get beans when the weather gets cooler and/or the bugs are done. Last year I had this problem and the beans came in gung-ho in September.
Patience.

o

Bush beans always produce earlier. My Blue Lake pole beans this year are VERY slow to make blossoms and then slow to grow beans.
Do you see lots of bugs around, that would be pollinating?
Has it been really hot there?

o

The weather has been all over the place here (northeastern Ohio). We had a couple of weeks where it was close to 100 almost every day. We also had about 3 weeks where we had heavy rain every single day.

I've looked but haven't seen any unusual bugs. I seem to have a lot of ants throughout the garden. Is that something I should worry about?

o

I don't think the ants are a problem.....unless they are there because of alot of aphids.
I'm really thinking it might be the heat you had. Last year we had really high temps, and I didn't get any pole beans. :(
In my experience, they are more sensitive to high heat than bush beans are............but that might be because it takes them alot longer to grow.

o

Pole beans are less tolerant of heat than bush beans so that could be your problem. Some varieties are more heat tolerant than others. They are self pollinating so no need for pollinators. Make sure that you did not confuse pole beans with runner beans. Runner beans are VERY finicky about heat.

o

Thanks for all the replies.

How would I know if something is a pole bean vs runner bean?

o

They are different species and most vendors will alert you to the difference. If you know the variety it is easy to identify.

o

Hey, you all were right. Yesterday morning I noticed a ton of beans. Yeeeees!

o

YAY! Seems like once they get going..........they grow fast.

o

Wow. I have already gotten almost THREE full 5-gallon buckets out of the 3 plants and they're still growing. Loving it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here