Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just now getting bean blossoms, after 3 months

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 10:22

I'm learning that green beans don't put out blossoms in hot weather. Its been mostly over 90 this summer, and none of my various beans made any blossoms, until now.
Are there any pole bean varieties that do better in really hot weather? I grew Blue Lake pole, Kentucky Blue pole and Roma pole. They made tons of vines and leaves, but not blossoms. Their vines and leaves are getting old now, so I hope they can hold on until the blossoms makes beans. Have never had such a bad bean year.
But..........the cucs have been a banner year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just now getting bean blossoms, after 3 months

Catherinet,

Rattlesnake is the best I've seen for setting in hot weather.

Gary

o

Limas and cowpeas also like hot weather.

o

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 0:06

I planted 3 kinds of limas and no beans! No Romanos (bush or pole)--or any others. Got vines dying back no matter what I try. Good luck.

o

I had the same experience in South Louisiana, bean leaves and vines but no blooms & beans. No luck with Contender bush beans,even Rattlesnake pole beans didn't make beans and the vines died from the heat. My only survivor was yard long beans and I'm just now getting a few from them.

o

Thanks everyone.
Sounds like the heat ruined lots of gardens this year.
I am finally getting a few green beans, but now they are getting eaten by the various bugs. Can't seem to win this year. There's always next year, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here