Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

A Question About Yardlongs,

iam3killerbs
14 years ago

Now that we know that the Yardlong beans are DELICIOUS, I'm being frustrated by my inability to pick enough of them at once to provide a meal.

Stir-fry is all well and good, but I don't want it every day and the yardlongs don't seem to keep very well in the fridge waiting for me to accumulate enough of them to eat. Since I have 4 kids, 2 of whom are teens, I need at least 2-3lbs of a single vegetable to provide the side dish for dinner.

How many linear feet of trellis do I need to plant to be able to harvest a pound or two on the same day? And what variety is likely to produce the most beans in the same space?

Comments (13)

• Macmex
    14 years ago

This is just an estimate: I'd try about 16' (as in one cattle panel), 32' would be even better. I grow Georgia Long, which is a putty/red seeded variety, and unfortunately, I usually squeeze it in, in a less than optimal spot, and a little late in the season. So I just mix them in with our regular green beans.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

PS. Try snagging Zeedman. He'd have more experience and probably more input. If you can't find him, drop me an e-mail and I'll dig up his e-mail for you.

• whgille
    14 years ago

I planted one cattle panel with red noodle beans. We are a small family. Because of the production, everybody that knows me got a bag of the beans. They all like it even they tried for the first time.
    Silvia

{{gwi:26080}}

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.

• dirtdauberz5mo
    14 years ago

I planted 6 bamboo tripods with the Chinese red noodle bean. (three beans per stick) Was somewhat worried when I only had about 65/70% germination, and they were what I considered kinda slow in getting up and vining...now I wish they'd quit. I'm picking and freezing every three to four days, and they are still blooming and blooming - they are covered with big black carpenter-type ants that don't seem to hurt them a bit, (but make picking a pain).
    I also have to say that I'm just a tad bit disappointed in the flavor, they are rather waxy and bland and not quite as 'bean' flavored as I'd hoped. They require seasoning, can't just cook 'em on their own. So I'll stock up on the spices, it's going to take a few months of winter for us to plow through the thirty or so quarts of these things in the freezer...not sure I want to give them away since I can't really be happy 'bout the taste? Good filler for casseroles I guess ~~~

• guavalane
    14 years ago

....I also have to say that I'm just a tad bit disappointed in the flavor, they are rather waxy and bland and not quite as 'bean' flavored as I'd hoped....

Ditto!!! They need more oil and seasoning. They taste better when slightly undercooked, otherwise they are chewy.

• rudydude
    14 years ago

Red noodles are good raw.I have found that I was waiting to long to pick them and they are better when smaller than a pencil. I mixed the red noodle and a green variety together in a 15 foot row against a chain link fence. I can not pick them fast enough! The reds came first now the green is coming on! It is pretty when mixed together.

• dirtdauberz5mo
    14 years ago

So what is your green variety, and are they producing as much and as fast as the red? That seems to be what the original poster is looking for here...
    Oh yeah, besides having good flavor too.
    (Red & green together WOULD look like Christmas in August wouldn't it? But if the flavor was the same as I'm dealing with right now....*?)

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm growing the green ones (they seem to have stopped after I accidentally let a couple get overmature). I'm open to trying either -- I just want to have enough to make an entire family vegetable side out of them.

• whgille
    14 years ago

I have the red noodle variety and the green variety. It seems to me that the red variety is a better producer. I like the taste for both varieties. However, taste can vary from one person to another. :o)

Silvia

• dirtdauberz5mo
    14 years ago

Well, sure it can -- I did end up giving some of my reds to a friend who had potted some flowers for me, and their family loved them...didn't even season them after I warned her ("you gotta ADD something!") But she thought they were great as is...*please don't tell me I'm turning into my 13 year old* :)

So iam3killerbs - you're gonna have to try the red ones next year I guess...I do know that you're gonna like the way they produce!! And I'm even letting some of mine seed -- I could send you some, if you'd like.
    Now the official variety name is Chinese Red Noodle Bean, what's the variety name of the green ones is what I'd like to know -- is there only one? I thought there were lots of green yardlongs.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine were only labeled "yardlong" -- no variety name.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi dirtauberz5mon

You are funny, my yard long beans packet were bought at the oriental store and is labeled:
    Asparagus Bean
    (Green Snap Bean)
    The other variety I have is also Chinese red noodle bought at Nichols.

Silvia

• dancinglemons
    14 years ago

Try Orient Wonder Long Beans from John Scheepers. (Link below post)

They are $4.75 for one packet but you get 175 seeds in a packet which is MUCH more than any other seed vendor I have purchased long bean seeds from.

I like the flavor of all long beans - but then I season everything I cook. I stir fry them in olive oil and add Sazon or Adobo seasoning. There is also a Phillipine seasoning for veggies which comes in a packet ($0.35). Mama Sita's - Seasoning mix for Pang Gisa -- I get it at a local Asian Market. You can order it online if you want to try it. No MSG in this seasoning.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Scheepers Seed Co.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville