Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tenderstar pole beans

Posted by CaraRose 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 11:20

Anyone here grow tenderstar pole beans? So far this season they've grown great, flowered like crazy... and produced all of 2 beans.

Is this typical of this variety? Or am I just a bit unlucky this year?

Blue lake pole beans, on the other hand, have been producing well. Perhaps a bit slow to get started, but starting to come in steadily.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tenderstar pole beans

Tenderstar is a runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus) Pole beans are Phaselous vulgaris. Runner beans like a cool moist climate (like England). As a class they have difficulty setting in warm weather. In my youth Scarlet Runners were grown strickly for the flowers.

o

Thanks Farmerdill for explaining the main difference between RUNNER beans and POLE beana.

I always thought "It is crazy!" they both can climb on a POLE and they both can RUN (if you let them to .lol).

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 12:41

Often in GW posts Phaselous vulgaris are called "common beans" and they can be bush, bush with short runners, or pole beans. There is also a half runner habit.

Phaseolus coccineus beans are generally called runner beans even if they have bush habit. Runner beans do not like hot weather, they may need bees to pollinate them and they readily cross with each other. Those of us who maintain seed lines often grow only one variety a year.

One obvious difference is when common beans emerge from the ground the seed leaves or cotyledons come out as the first leaves. With runner beans, the cotyledons stay in the ground.

Both kinds are used as snaps, shellies or dry beans. - Dick

o

They are starting to set now with cooler weather. My blue lake pole beans are on the same trellis though, and are trying to strangle them. Harvested maybe a dozen beans total this year though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here