Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush bean row spacing?

Posted by nygardener z6 New York (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 11:40

I've planted several varieties of bush beans at 2-3" spacing a few inches from either side of a 3-foot-wide bed (surrounded by grass paths) in which lettuce has been growing. The bean plants are now about 4" tall, and I've been pulling out the lettuce as it bolts.

Now that the lettuce has finished, I was planning to sow another row of beans down the middle, so that I'd have three rows about 15" apart. Or I could just leave the middle empty, leaving two rows about 30" apart, with fertile soil between. Which do you suggest -- should I plant the middle row, or leave it out?

Also, should I thin the existing rows to 4-5", or leave them at 2-3" between plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush bean row spacing?

In a bed where you pull the weeds and grass they probably will do well with a row in the middle. I plant everthing in my garden 30 in wide so I can run the tiller down the middle till the plants get really big.
I thnk 2-3inches is too close. I drop bean seed about 3-4 in spacing and if all germinate, thin to 6-8 in.

o

In my bush bean patch, I noticed I have a few really heavy producers, and they are the ones growing next to a "bare spot" where I had to pull a diseased seedling, or at the end of the row. It makes me think I should give them all more space next time. Exposure to sunlight from top to bottom may be the key, I don't know. Mine were planted about 5 inches apart.

o

Thanks! The lettuces haven't all given up yet, so I think I'll stick with the 30 inch spacing for this year. Most things do well with a little extra room anyway, and this way I can reach in to pick from either side without crowding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here