Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How is the harvest going?

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 11:57

Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have been going?

It has been a very dry year here in Iowa and I have not watered thus all of my legumes are quite a bit behind. Now it is a race to the first frost for all of my seed saving efforts, I think it is going to be close.

• My snap bush beans(Empress, Cherokee Wax) have produced very well this year for fresh eating.
  • My snap pole beans(Migliorucci,Landfrauen,Nell's Climbing, Bosnian Yellow Pod) are behind this season and just starting to produce.
  • My dry bush beans(Hutterite,Dr Wyches Russian) are on track, other than a tiller incident earlier in the season.
  • My surprise bush cowpea(Biwa Sitter), from the regional meskwaki tribe is doing quite well. I thought this would be a dry bush bean when planted.
  • My bush cowpea(Purple Hull) are drying quite well and as always has been a great cowpea here in Iowa for me.
  • A few more I will talk about later.

Looking forward to hear about everyone's results.

thanks,
Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How is the harvest going?

Although my plantings are small compared to most of you we've been eating Cherokee Trail of Tears, Bosnian Pole and Bird Egg#3 and will get seed from them.
Ones I'm growing just for seed and maybe a taste are Comtesse de Chambord(seed harvested), Black Jungle Butter Beans(seed harvested), Irish Conners, Turkey Craw, Uzice Speckled Wax, Grandma's Yugoslavian, Jeminez, Gigandes, Selma Zebra, Blue Bloom, Kew Blue, Purple Italian Marconi Stringless, Deseronto Potato and Duane Baptiste Potato beans, Wood Mountain Crazy Beans, Swiss Landfruen and Regal Salad, it looks like I'll get seed from all of these albeit in small amounts.

Two planted late and flowering now, Blue Greasy Grit and Barksdale will give us some beans but very doubtful about collecting seed, made a note to plant earlier next year.

I had one Ukrainian Runner (pole) seed given to me, it didn't germinate, seed very similar to Gigandes and Samos Greek Lima, given one more, very shy with flowers has only a couple. I planted it in a tub and will move it to the greenhouse if necessary. In the pic below left to right Gigandes, Ukrainian, Samos.

The only pea I grew was the Shiraz snow pea, put a short row in and had a bumper crop, we ate all we wanted and harvested quite a bit of seed. I planted 12 of these, they are up and growing, curious to see if they stay that beautiful black purple color, if we're lucky we'll get another taste.

All in all I can't complain what with the weather we've had this year. Annette

o
RE: How is the harvest going? OT

Annette
PMd you today via GW. I got some white IWK Beans this year along with my largest beans ever. Send me address if your still interested.

Jim

o
RE: How is the harvest going? OT

Annette
PMd you today via GW. I got some white IWK Beans this year along with my largest beans ever. Send me address if your still interested.

Jim

o
RE: How is the harvest going?

Hi Jim, didn't get it, at least not yet. I just sent you one.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here