Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this fence work for snow peas?

Posted by Reach_For_The_Sun 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 12:16

I am growing two rows of Oregon Sugar Pod II Peas. It is about that time for them to grab onto something and I was wondering if orange snow / barrier fencing would work? After looking at the posts about trellises I did not happen to see any kind of fencing like this.

My main concern is the amount of shade it might provide? The holes in the fence are 2 7/8" X 1 5/8" with the fence being 1/4". The rows run north-south so I am concerned that the fence with the addition of the pea leaves will not let enough light through to the ones that are on the east side
of the fence.

Photos of potential plan below.

So ... with all or your experience would it be advisable to use this fence or opt for something else that might let more light through?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Fence Option

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this fence work for snow peas?

I can't advise on shade issues, but I did use some fencing like this for peas and some pole beans a couple of years ago. It had somewhat smaller holes than yours, but what I really disliked was that I couldn't get my hand through the holes to pick the peas/beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me your trellis

o

I already looked at that post and did not see anything like I am referring to.

I think I am going to go with that fence as it is what I have laying around. Hopefully it will not be problematic, so I will have to see what happens.

As for harvesting I have access to both side so it is not a problem.

o

It might work. Let us know how it goes, OK?

o

Shouldn't be a problem, we have a lot of this type fence at work as barriers for construction. Volunteer tomatoes, beans, and all kind of stuff grow very well next to them.

o

Hope it goes well for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here