Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I give my pole beans some kind of push?

Posted by alisande Zone 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 12:23

My Kentucky Wonders were planted late this year. The plants are huge and full of leaves, but not much is going on bean-wise. A flower here and there, and maybe 4 or 5 developing beans.

I don't usually fertilize them, but do you recommend that I give them something? I'm afraid we'll get a frost before they start producing in earnest.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I give my pole beans some kind of push?

All of my pole beans took what seemed like an excruciatingly long time to start bearing this year. Then they took off and have been producing loads of beans. Maybe yours are on the verge of producing. Let's hope so.

One difference with mine though is that mine were growing poorly at first from what appeared to be a nitrogen deficiency, which is not the case with yours. They responded to a couple of applications of liquid fertilizer.

Good luck.

Jim

o
RE: Can I give my pole beans some kind of push?

Thanks, Jim. After reading your post I decided to try a little liquid fertilizer too. So far so good. However, now an insect has moved into the bean arch. (See my other post.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here