Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross pollination

Posted by drjpt none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 12:44

Would like to experiment in cross pollination of some beans. Any advice on how to get the best results and how many growing seasons would it ideally take to positively ID a desired result?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross pollination

Sounds like should go to the search box above and put in "Bean pollination". There's lots to read there but you'll be able to comb thru and get your facts. Good luck!

o

You might get better answers if you post on the Hybridizing Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizing

o

Do you want to cross two different varieties? Often times rows planted side by side even 30 inches apart will be cross pollinated by Bumblebees. Bumblebees if you have them are good pollinators. As far as results go it will take two years before you see the results of a bean cross. I don't know why but that's the way bean genetics seem to work. The best marker for finding a bean cross of course will be a change in the seedcoat. Just don't try crossing two beans that are totally of the same color seedcoat as your new hybrid bean will probably have the same color seed. Then you have to be really good at seeing the difference in the plant characteristics. I think another cross pollinating scheme would be to plant two varieties in the same row and alternate planting the seed right down the row. Sometimes the results of a bean cross are pretty interesting. I have had over 100 crossed varieties in my beans back in the 80's and started gardening again recently and found a few more this year. I am a member of Seed Savers Exchange, and about 4 of my crosses have actually have been sold commercially. Check out my website link. With bean crosses there also is the issue of the bean being stable. Sometimes a cross will be frustrating. They keep producing several seedcoat colors when grown every year, and the plants themselves will vary.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Bean Collectors Window

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here