Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ppod1999

'Peanut' is a pole bean (NOT a bush or half-runner)

P POD
14 years ago

Whenever I check on my Peanut beans (Sandhill seeds), I get a bit irritated that this bean was described in the catalog as being a bush/half runnr bean. It is NOT even close to being either. It's a true pole bean!

All my Peanut bean plants are sending out long vines looking for something to climb, and those that don't find a vertical support lay on and close to the ground and are not productive (but if they were, the pods would likewise touch the ground and get destroyed by slugs and whatnot). One vine that found its way up a tomato string is now over seven feet heigh and setting flowers all the way.

Had thePeanut beans been planted as a pole bean, it could have been impressively productive. Its other attributes are: early, good-tasting, the 2 strings pull easily in one pull, pretty red pods at maturity.

Another thought on the Peanut bean's growing habits: Initially, it develops as a bush bean and produces pods on the bush. During the first flush of pods, it sends up vines. If the vines find support, as already mentioned, pods develop on both the vine(s) and the bush. (This is from memory, but I think pretty accurate.) Here it's grown in full sun. The season has been very rainy w/cool'ish nights, but lately pretty dry, warm (88F), humid, and gorgeous. 10 days or so ago, I fertilized with Neptune's kelp/fish liquid at 1/2 strength.

I hope this is helpful to others who'd want to grow this excellent bean to its full potential.

PS I'd have installed a fence for the Peanut beans to climb, had they not been growing in front of some Brandywine toms, that I don't want shaded.

Comments (7)

Sponsored