Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Peanut' is a pole bean (NOT a bush or half-runner)

Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 16, 09 at 14:22

Whenever I check on my Peanut beans (Sandhill seeds), I get a bit irritated that this bean was described in the catalog as being a bush/half runnr bean. It is NOT even close to being either. It's a true pole bean!

All my Peanut bean plants are sending out long vines looking for something to climb, and those that don't find a vertical support lay on and close to the ground and are not productive (but if they were, the pods would likewise touch the ground and get destroyed by slugs and whatnot). One vine that found its way up a tomato string is now over seven feet heigh and setting flowers all the way.

Had thePeanut beans been planted as a pole bean, it could have been impressively productive. Its other attributes are: early, good-tasting, the 2 strings pull easily in one pull, pretty red pods at maturity.

Another thought on the Peanut bean's growing habits: Initially, it develops as a bush bean and produces pods on the bush. During the first flush of pods, it sends up vines. If the vines find support, as already mentioned, pods develop on both the vine(s) and the bush. (This is from memory, but I think pretty accurate.) Here it's grown in full sun. The season has been very rainy w/cool'ish nights, but lately pretty dry, warm (88F), humid, and gorgeous. 10 days or so ago, I fertilized with Neptune's kelp/fish liquid at 1/2 strength.

I hope this is helpful to others who'd want to grow this excellent bean to its full potential.

PS I'd have installed a fence for the Peanut beans to climb, had they not been growing in front of some Brandywine toms, that I don't want shaded.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Red Peanut' is a pole bean (NOT a bush or half-runner)

Correction: its name is Red Peanut.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Peanut: erroneously cataloged as a bush; it's a pole bean

o
RE: 'Peanut' is a pole bean (NOT a bush or half-runner)

Hello,

I realize this is an old thread, but I have seen this bean listed as a half-runner, which means it has short 3-ft long runners and thus not a bush nor a full pole bean. Can anyone confirm that Red Peanut is in fact the same thing as "pink half-runner" "Old Joe Clark" etc? If they turn out to be full blown pole beans it could really mess up my plot! :)

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 9:58

Hi,I've always assumed they were one in the same. Here's a description from Bill Best of the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center. He wrote "Old Joe Clark Bean: This bean is sometimes known as the Pink Half-Runner and the Peanut Bean. It is an early bean with short runners and is more productive if supported in some fashion. Some people grow it as a bush bean, but it is less productive that way."
I've not grow it yet. Another half-runner that I've grown went up my rabbit fence and across the top of it so I'm guessing about 4'. At 4' you definitely need support, but I wouldn't call it a pole. Poles for me are way bigger than that.
Remy

o

• Posted by drloyd 8 Western WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 9:07

Ppod, it may depend on climate. Zeedman lists both Cornfield, Striped and Uzic Speckled Wax as half runners but they are both true pole beans here in the PNW with the crop evenly spaced on the trellis rather than mostly at the bottom. - Dick

o

I grew Red Peanut, here in OK, two seasons ago. It made a compact bush with twining, 3' runners. Upon seeing how they twined I gave them some support, but they did not climb. Perhaps they would have if provided support earlier.

I once received seed of a family heirloom bean, from the very family who had raised it for about 40 years. They always grew it as a half runner. But when I gave it support it easily reached 10-12 feet. I greatly prefer to grow it as a pole bean, myself.

Penny Rile cowpea is noted for being of less vigorous, vining growth than many other varieties. When I give it support it tops 10'. I grow it both ways.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here