Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Dry Lima Beans?

Posted by kamisha100 Z8AL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 14:59

Hello All,
I am having a wonderful growing season. This is my second year growing. I decided to grow some Bush Baby Lima beans for the first time this year. I had just one container of them.
My quaestion is How do I dry them so I can store them for the winter? I had been letting them dry in the pod and I just shelled about a pound. I don't know what I need to do with them next. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Dry Lima Beans?

Just spread them out, perhaps on a cookie sheet, and let them dry. Since you let them dry in the pod, which was good, they are almost ready. When you can't dent them with a fingernail you'll know they are dry enough to store in a jar. Be sure, once they are good and dry, to seal them in something air tight and freeze them for about two days. Then remove their container from the freezer and let them come up to ambient temperature before you open them again (This is important). Freezing will kill weevil eggs, which are almost always hiding under the beans' skin.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here