Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwr6404

Insuks Wang Kong 2008

jwr6404
15 years ago

We've had a miserable year for gardening the lone exception being the IWK Bean. These are the largest beans I've ever grown. As an indication of how bad it's been I have Beans that are larger than some of my few Beefsteak Tomatoes

Comments (11)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    15 years ago

It's always a good idea to plant both warm-weather & cool-weather crops, because whatever Nature throws at you, something will succeed. This has been a very cool year across the Northern states - perfect for "Insuk's". The many gardeners with whom you shared your seeds, Jim, should be having a good year.

Not for me, though. I had to replenish my stock of another heirloom runner variety this year. And I learned a lesson in the process: proper spacing in relatively poor soil (where it was last grown) is way too close in fertile soil!

• drloyd
    15 years ago

I live near Jim and did not even try to grow tomatoes outdoors this year. The several dozen plants in the greenhouses are doing well though.

And of course the cabbages and runner beans are happy.

• albionwood
    15 years ago

Agree about the IWK - the only bean producing so far - the weather here has been pretty bad as well. I picked a bad year to try to corner the market for string beans. But the IWK taste soooo good! Must plant a lot more of those next year.

Peas are doing fine though, the Amish Sugar Snaps are delicious and productive. Surprisingly good berry production as well.

• newgardener_tx
    15 years ago

Here is the update from central Texas. I got the seeds from Jim (Thanks) end of March and plant them on April 1st. Around mid-may they started to bloom with beautiful bright scarlet-orange flowers. But I never got any beans. None of them set beans. I even still have flowers coming today still no beans. Though we have had 40+ days of 100F! My tomatos were done at mid-June.
    But Thanks jim. I saved some seeds and will try to plant them in Febuary next year.
    New gardener in Tx

• P POD
    15 years ago

Hello all, Would you know where I could obtain seeds of IWK? I'd like to grow it next year. Is IWK used as snaps or shellies or both? Does it freeze well or not so well?

Newgardener TX, sorry to hear about your no-beans IKW. How warm are nights with daytime temps of 100ºF? They say over in the tomato forum that toms don't set fruit unless night temps drop to xxºF, and perhaps beans too need certain lower night temps to set pods.

I won't be posting for a while (vacation) but will eventually get back and thank you for source(s) of IWK seeds. Thanks for your feedback....

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ppod
    I will send you all the IWK beans you need prior to your 2009 planting season. You can send me a message via this forum when your ready for seed.
    Jim

• albionwood
    15 years ago

I think we all got our seeds from Jim - to whom I owe a big debt, as these are feeding us very well this summer!

To the new gardener in TX - Runner beans are not like other kinds of beans: they do not like hot weather, and they require pollination. In your area I would try planting them either very early in spring, or maybe in mid-summer hoping for a fall crop before frost kill. Mulch to keep the roots cool (another difference from regular beans). And you'll need a healthy bumblebee and/or hummingbird population to pollinate the flowers.

• P POD
    15 years ago

Jim, thanks for your kind offer of IWK seeds! You have mail.....

• fliptx
    15 years ago

I'm going to plant some more of these for fall. I tried a spring planting but it got so hot so quick.

• susaneden
    15 years ago

My Insuks did beautifully (thanks again Jim). Unfortunately, beause of space considerations and some friends who were very interested in the seeds, I really just planted enough for a seed crop (8 plants). LOL! Next year, I am keeping my mouth shut about interesting seed to my local gardening friends until the amount I want to plant is in the ground).

The humming birds have been ignoring my neighbors feeders, preferring the runner beans! Jim, thanks again for the seed :D

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

My Insuks have small pods on them I noticed this morning. I am looking forward to a tatse comparision between them and Kentucky Wonder pole beans.

I planted them in probably the worst spot possible and they are still producing. They are receiving only 25% sun at best, I meant to cut a bunch of branches, but that was delayed to a fall project.

Next year, they should do quite well, with 60% sun.

thanks again Jim.
    Dean