Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Mutation, Cross or have I been Double Crossed :).

Just for fun I've been growing out the pink bean found in a dried pod of Mr. Tung's, pic below.

The only other bean grown near it was a neighbor's Scarlet Runners on the other side of a 6' fence but close. This same year I was also growing Auntie Vi's and my neighbor on the other side was growing Cherokee Trail of Tears, both of these beans were well separated from the Mr. Tung's by a greenhouse, a 6' fence and lots of flowers, all are pole beans, the runners being a flat bean the other two plus the Mr. Tung's not.

These are the beans the pink seed produced, they grew to about 5 feet last year, flat like a runner, the pods quite shiny and the flowers showed a slight bit of color not white like Mr. Tung's.

This is the seed these beans produced. The light colored ones were picked at the shellie stage, the brown when thoroughly dried.

I grew a couple of these beans this year in an isolated spot, they haven't grown as high but the few beans produced look like they're going to be the same striped, flat beans. I have to admit the plants have been neglected and look terrible due to one thing or another. I have a few beans left so I could try again next year if the ones from this year don't make it, that is if I even bother with them. I have no idea how they will cook up or if they will even taste good. In the end I'll probably scrap them but in the meantime I'm curious as to what the seed looks like this year. What do you think mutated or crossed by some very persistant bumblebee?

Annette

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!