Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something stripped my bean plants of leaves.

Posted by DavidMac1680 Arkansas 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 16:20

Something came along yesterday during daylight hours and stripped nearly half of my bean plants of leaves. When I watered them at 0630, half an hour into daylight, everything was intact when I got home after work half the plants looked like the photo. Whole leaves just gone.

I know there are rabbits in the area, I've seen them around the neighborhood, but the garden is surrounded by a fence, which in turn is surrounded by the rest of the yard with three dogs. The garden fence isn't perfect because something small could probably get in where the gate meets the wall, but any critter that went in that way would have a lot of open ground to cover in the DMZ with the pups.

Is the puppy patrol not up to snuff, or is this something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something stripped my bean plants of leaves.

Deer and groundhogs are the most common bean eaters.

o

Also rabbis !

Can you detect any foot prints ?

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 10:22

Some of my pole beans were stripped of leaves leaving a single bare stem with a viable tip. They have recovered nicely.

o

I think I see deer tracks when I magnify the pic. It looks like deer damage. They love to eat the tops out.

o

Deer....or rabbits... I have had both get into mine before. I walked out this morning and scared a rabbit out of my pole beans. He had eaten the leaves off the vines about 2 feet high. Deer would have eaten them 4 to 5 feet high.

The plants will recover, but depending on how extensive the damage is, you may or may not have time to get a crop before frost.

o

In my experience, rabbits like bean plants better than just about anything else. Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the other critters. But I think you would know if you had deer around your property.

Jim

o

Seems like it was rabbits. I kind of thought my place was a little urban for deer (a long way from the nearest stand of trees one could hide in) and after installing some chicken wire the beans have recovered (as have the lower leaves on the pepper plants I didn't even know were missing).

Hopefully the beans will recover enough for me to get a harvest if the damage didn't delay their already late start too much.

Thanks for all the help.

o

Totally a deer! This has been happening to me all summer long, but they'll still produce beans. Despite the deer I still have so many bush and pole beans that I'm starting to get sick of them. haha

o

Agree with wertach,
I can see deer foot prints too.
Also, rabbits are unlikely to be able to eat all the way to very top
but leaving the lowest leaves intact.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here