Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidmac1680

Something stripped my bean plants of leaves.

DavidMac1680
10 years ago

Something came along yesterday during daylight hours and stripped nearly half of my bean plants of leaves. When I watered them at 0630, half an hour into daylight, everything was intact when I got home after work half the plants looked like the photo. Whole leaves just gone.

I know there are rabbits in the area, I've seen them around the neighborhood, but the garden is surrounded by a fence, which in turn is surrounded by the rest of the yard with three dogs. The garden fence isn't perfect because something small could probably get in where the gate meets the wall, but any critter that went in that way would have a lot of open ground to cover in the DMZ with the pups.

Is the puppy patrol not up to snuff, or is this something else?

Comments (13)

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

Deer and groundhogs are the most common bean eaters.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Also rabbis !

Can you detect any foot prints ?

• drloyd
    10 years ago

Some of my pole beans were stripped of leaves leaving a single bare stem with a viable tip. They have recovered nicely.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

I think I see deer tracks when I magnify the pic. It looks like deer damage. They love to eat the tops out.

• Donna
    10 years ago

Deer....or rabbits... I have had both get into mine before. I walked out this morning and scared a rabbit out of my pole beans. He had eaten the leaves off the vines about 2 feet high. Deer would have eaten them 4 to 5 feet high.

The plants will recover, but depending on how extensive the damage is, you may or may not have time to get a crop before frost.

• jimster
    10 years ago

In my experience, rabbits like bean plants better than just about anything else. Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the other critters. But I think you would know if you had deer around your property.

Jim

• DavidMac1680
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems like it was rabbits. I kind of thought my place was a little urban for deer (a long way from the nearest stand of trees one could hide in) and after installing some chicken wire the beans have recovered (as have the lower leaves on the pepper plants I didn't even know were missing).

Hopefully the beans will recover enough for me to get a harvest if the damage didn't delay their already late start too much.

Thanks for all the help.

• barbge
    10 years ago

Totally a deer! This has been happening to me all summer long, but they'll still produce beans. Despite the deer I still have so many bush and pole beans that I'm starting to get sick of them. haha

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Agree with wertach,
    I can see deer foot prints too.
    Also, rabbits are unlikely to be able to eat all the way to very top
    but leaving the lowest leaves intact.

• HU-265680458
    2 years ago

Mine too look like this BUT we live in a townhouse and they are on my balcony. It is my cat eating them MORRIS !!! lol

• HU-719156460
    2 years ago

same thing just happened to me today. will they grow back or should i just replant new ones?

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    2 years ago

If only the leaves were eaten & the stems are mostly intact, the beans should recover. Unless you are in an area with very short summers, there is probably enough time left in the season yet to get a crop of snap beans from those plants. I don't usually recommend fertilizing beans, but in this situation a light application of a water-soluble fertilizer will help the plants to bounce back.

Of course, you will need to fence off the beans to prevent a recurrence of the same problem. ;-) Which will involve identifying the animal which caused the damage, so you know what measures need to be taken. If a ground hog, trapping will be necessary.

Sponsored