Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Day length - do I have this right ??

dancinglemons
14 years ago

Hello all,

Is this right or wrong:

1. Day length sensitive plants produce more beans when days are shorter and nights are longer??

OR

2. Day length sensitive plants produce more beans when days are longer and nights are shorter.

I thought I had it straight but somehow...........

In my zone June 21 (there abouts) is the longest day in the year and then days begin to slowly get shorter. I am just wondering if my Orient Wonder Long Beans gave good production in June but seem to have gone gangbusters in August because the days are shorter?? Not only producing more beans but the entire plant seems to have regenerated totally!

What do ya think??

DL

Comments (4)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    14 years ago

Plants with photo-period sensitivity are often from the tropics, where the seasonal variations between day & night are not as pronounced as they are in the temperate zone. They will flower here (or form tubers) when days approach 12 hours in length. Since that is around September 21st - no matter where you are - that's a problem for those of us with early frosts.

The short-winded answer is, #1 is the most correct. ;-) There are, however, plants which prefer longer days, such as some onions & soybeans.

If "Orient Wonder" was bearing in June, then it is most likely day neutral. The fact that they are picking up now could be due to more moderate temperatures, more rainfall (both of which reduce blossom drop), or the plants could just be getting their second wind.

But if they are doing well... why ask why? :-)

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zeedman

Well, the why of it all is my need to save some seed if this particular strain of long bean is going to be rather prolific - twice - in a season. I want to try my hand at seed saving if this is a particularly vigorous strain.

I thank you for answering my query.

DL

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    14 years ago

DL, I hope you know I was joking. ;-) I remember conversing with you about long beans previously, on other threads.

Saving seed certainly can't hurt. Many of the varieties I grow have done better after several years of seed saving, than they did from the original seed. If the plants from your saved seed perform similarly next year, you've got a "keeper".

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that info zeedman. Your information on long beans last year was invaluable and really helped with the 2008 growing of 3 different types -and- the decision to grow long beans again this year. I only grew the Orient Wonder this year and WOW!! I have never saved seeds -but- looking at these long beans just go crazy with blooms and so much vine that they vine around the beans, around the vines, around the trellis - if I stood there long enough I'd probably get used as a trellis by these vines :-)) (well maybe not me but surely the grandkids) The "Wonder" of it all is that they already had a pretty hefty output and have started up again without any help from me. If the saved seeds perform well next year -- I will be really happy!

DL

Sponsored