Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Hercules peas!!!! Kinda long!

Some of you may remember, some not. I was desperately seeking Hercules peas after losing my seed stock to drought and deer. Plus the drought in Texas caused a shortage of seed stock.

My dear departed Dad wanted some so bad and I love them too. He departed before I could grow him any.

I finally got some last year, from http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/seed/heirloom.htm the deer ate them..... I finally found a solution this year (scarecrow sprinkler)and I have a bumper crop. I'm picking a gallon a day, after shelling!

I have enough frozen to last me to next year, so I shared with my friends at work.

I gave some of them a "mess" to take home and they were like OMG!

I had a few skeptics that didn't want any. They said that they are hard to shell, didn't like the taste, E.T.C.

So yesterday, I took my crock-pot, some fresh Brandywines, and a bucket full of un-shelled to work. I asked the skeptics to pitch in on the shelling.

The too hard to shell realized that they are easy to shell. The ones that said they don't like the taste of Southern peas pitched in just to help, but with a "I don't want to eat" look!

We finished before time to "turn and burn", we have a 1/2 hour morning session every day to get our work orders and priorities together. We have to travel to differant plants to do repairs.

I put them on to cook. I was a little late getting back to the shop at lunch time, I didn't get any! LOL

Now the gardeners want seed, and the "I don't like the taste" want me to cook another pot full!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson seed

Comments (13)