Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chel12vuk

Green bean pesticide problem

chel12vuk
10 years ago

Can anyone help me out with a green Bean question? I sprayed a bayer pesticide on my veggie garden and a few days after I was looking through the directions to see when I could pick the green beans after and couldn't find any beans in the directions. I called the 1-800 number on the bottle and asked them and they said its not for green beans and to wait until next growing season for beans now. Why would the pesticide be safe for the rest of the veggies but not beans? I know I should of asked this question when I called bayer lol, but maybe someone here can help me out?!

Comments (4)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Why would you poison a whole garden full of food???
    You kill all the beneficial insects that way. Isn't the point of growing your own food to have fresh, organic, healthy veggies?

There is a balance going on out there that is disrupted when you kill everything. Please figure out what a problem is before you start to kill things.

I have found that the people on the other end of a phone call are young folks who are hired to answer the phone but have never gardened before in their life, so answers may seem strange. This goes for most products.

• chel12vuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No need to lecture, I asked a question about green beans, I'm new to gardening the bugs were eating everything so that's what I thought I should do. Obviously everyone has their own opinions. What I did obviously can't be undone so no need to rant about it, I just need usable knowledge from someone about green beans and pesticides. Thank you.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

You are, by your own admission, an inexperienced gardener. Please don't think of it as lecturing, when people attempt to help you... especially when you are doing things potentially hazardous not only to you, but to anyone else who may eat what you are growing.

The first step to dealing with a problem is identifying it. If "bugs" were eating everything, first try to identify the bugs responsible. Once you know the culprit, you can tailor a strategy to deal with that particular pest, while harming nothing else. There are safe, organic solutions to deal with most insects.

The interesting thing is that Nature will often deal with insect pests in the garden on its own, if given encouragement... or at least, left alone. You can do things to strengthen plants against attack, to make them less attractive to pests, or attract natural insect predators. Susan's point about killing insects indiscriminately - beneficial as well as harmful - is a valid one. Pest insects generally reproduce more rapidly than their predators, so if you kill both, it is the pests which will get the upper hand.

I had quite a lot of aphids two weeks ago, on pretty much everything. They were really bad on my soybeans & yardlongs. But there are a lot of insect predators which eat aphids, and once the aphids reach a certain population, the predators will be drawn to them. Now I've got larvae for lacewings, ladybugs, and syrphid flies throughout my garden, and hardly an aphid to be found. Sometimes doing nothing is the best solution. A few holes in the leaves here & there is no cause for concern, until it reaches the level where action is required.

While I am an organic gardener, I am not an absolutist, and recognize that others may not share my aversion to the use of poisons. Make your own choice - but do so after you have thoroughly educated yourself on the dangers involved. When organic methods fail, it may be necessary to use stronger methods to prevent a total crop loss. Any use of chemicals should be thoroughly researched before application, to ensure that they will target the problem insect, and that they are approved for the crop being treated. Even then, they should be used sparingly, and only as a last resort. The government requires that proper warnings & instructions be attached to insecticides - read them prior to use, or better yet, prior to purchase. If you poison yourself because you did not wear the proper protective equipment during application - as required per the attached instructions - then you may have more immediate problems than worrying about eating the veggies.

Without knowing the specific poison, it is hard to say why it would be recommended for other crops, but not for beans. I wouldn't expect the company's 1-800 number to be especially forthcoming with that information either; but there are many resources on the web, just one search away. Do some research, starting by reading the instructions that came with the poison. Once you know what chemicals it contains, then search for info on their hazards. My suspicion is that since beans are eaten whole, and are not peeled as part of their preparation, that there would still be an unsafe dosage of poison remaining on them, even after washing.

• chel12vuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea I did all that, searched the Internet, looked up the ingredients, I've done my research before I posted the question. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower- none of those get peeled either so no that can't be the reason.