Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

recomendation for Shelly BUSH Bean varieties

cziga
11 years ago

I'm looking for some recommendations. I have been trying out a lot of dry beans, I love to cook with them during the winter. Most of them are heirloom pole beans because I've heard that pole varieties tend to taste better. Our family aren't big fans of green/snap beans, so I don't really grow those ones.

But I do want to try some Shelly beans next year. I searched through a lot of older threads but found mostly pole bean varieties that were being discussed. I have a space in my garden for some bush beans and thought shellies would be a good idea. They would mostly ripen at the same time, which is easy for harvesting and freezing ...

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend some of their favorite shelly BUSH varieties ... heirloom, so I can save seeds, (hopefully available in Canada) ... a variety that is fairly productive, and tasty.

Comments (5)

• cziga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also, an unrelated question ... I've read about cross-pollination ... more common with pole beans than bush beans etc ... but it can happen. My question is whether bush beans only cross with other bush beans, or can they cross with pole beans as well? Can I plant a variety of bush beans in front of a variety of pole beans and not worry about crosses, or does it not matter what their growing type is?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Cziga, you've come to the right place, I'm sure someone will chime in with some good recommendations, sorry I can't help with this as I grow mostly pole beans to be eaten as snap beans BUT while you're waiting have a look at Heritage Harvest Seed's website they have a great selection to choose from. As to the crossing while it is possible Phaseolus vulgaris (common beans) more than likely won't unless you have a promiscuous variety and some busy little bees :).

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Harvest Seed

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

While the majority of my shell beans are pole, I have grown a few good bush shellies. Since you are located in Canada, I will comment on those carried by Heritage Harvest seeds. Their bean selection is outstanding.

My favorite bush shelly is "Giant Red Tarka", an heirloom Hungarian variety. It has vigorous, high-yielding plants, huge red & white seeds that shell easily, and is very early for a bean of that size. In my climate, I had the first shellies at 80 days, and dry seed at 90 days. The shellies are very tender, and can be mashed like potatoes when cooked. If I ever choose to grow only bush shellies, this is the one I would choose. I believe Heritage Harvest carries a similar bean, "Piros Feher", which closely matches the description; but the strain I grow seems to have more red coloration.

Giant Red Tarka shellies

I have also grown "Pepa de Zapallo", under its alias "Tiger Eye". The plants are only moderately productive, but the shellies are large, attractively colored, and delicious.

You might want to consider "Deseronto Potato Bean", which is a Canadian heirloom. There is a thread about it on this forum.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

I grew jacob's cattle this year, it is tasty, and early. Also Romano bush, which was more productive. Also an african Phaseolus cultivar, bush habit, which is quite late. I think it's called kabira.

If I grow bush beans for dry or shelly again I will have to support them somehow, the flopping over and consequently the beans laying on the ground is no good. The question is whether putting out and taking in lots of stakes or short fencing is better than permanent trellis and growing entirely pole beans.

• cziga
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I have ordered from Heritage Harvest seeds before (although not beans), and like the company and selection a lot.

Most of the beans mentioned were dry beans, or so I thought. Even reading descriptions of them, they sound like they are meant to be dry beans, I didn't know they were great shelly beans as well. Very few people or websites highlight shelly beans.

I'm actually growing Tiger Eye this summer, received it in a swap last year, but it was labelled as a dry bean and most descriptions I've read have not contradicted that. It makes a good shelly bean then? That's lucky and convenient!!

The Deseronto Potato Bean also sounds like a dry bean from the description on the website. When they talk about "thickener in soup" and "mashed like potatoes", and only give a days to maturity for dry beans, then I assume that they are meant to be used as dry beans. That's why I asked here ... I guess these are good shelly beans and experience is the best way to tell ... so thank you for the suggestions so far.

Zeedman - I read the threads about shellies where you talked about the Giant Red Tarka, and I admit, it sounds like a great bean to try. Are you saying that Piros Feher is basically the same bean just a different name, or that it is a similar (but not the same) bean that is worth trying anyways? I can try and see if anyone else in Canada carries the original, or if anyone in the Canadian forum has it to trade.

I grew Jacob's Cattle once before ... I know it is a favorite for many people but we didn't really like the taste that much, and I found it to be not very productive (beans per pod etc). That's one of the reasons I'm looking for other options :)

And about the crossing, I know that with beans it is possible but not hugely common ... I was wondering if pole varieties would cross with bush varieties IF they were going to cross at all, or if it is less likely than crossing with another pole variety? Would I be less likely to get crosses if I planted a pole variety with a bush variety, than with another pole variety ... or does it not matter (likelyhood of crossing would be the same either way)?

Sponsored