Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_mel

what is your favorite bean.

barbara_mel
17 years ago

I am hunting for that perfect bean to suit my taste buds. Although I am sure I will always plant several varieties. I love good snap beans and shelly's. I alread have a list of new bean I plan to try next spring. I normally try new varieties every year. I do not want to miss anything good LOL. I would like to know what your favorit bean is. Beans and leafy greans are my favorit vegies. I love all vegies but I think they are on the top of the list.

I have enjoyed many verieties. So far I like blue lakes & roma 11 bush. Kentucky wonders & bluelake pole. I am not sure if I can say that they are my favorite but they have been dependable. Kentucky wander & romas have a full beany flaver. Romas have a nice texture and a bit of sweetness along with the beany flaver. blue lakes have more of a traditional bean flaver with a hint of sweetness. I like a sweet taste and a full beany flaver. I normaly get one or the other. I would love to find one bean that has both the full beany flaver the very sweet taste.

I have noticed the condition of my soil and how often I water my beans after pod set makes a difference it the tast. What about you?

What is your favorite bean and why.

So far I have learned a lot from you all reading all the threads. So I will value your input. I understand that we acquire different taste but I am sure your input will be more accurate then the pumped up catalog description

Thank you.

Mel

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The favorite heirloom thread, lower on this page, kind of answers that question for many of us.

Let me suggest, however, that if you like the Blue Lakes, you won't care for some of the others mentioned. I don't care for Blue Lake at all, for instance, as I find them relatively tasteless. Obviously, my tastes run to a heavier, more beany flavor than yours. So my favorites probably won't meet your desires.

• barbara_mel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh no. gardenlad I have never tasted a bean with too much of a beany flaver for me. You see before I found this garden forum I didn't know very much about heirloom vegies. Even now I find that they are not as easily accessible as some of the other common seeds. Next year I certainly plan to find out how beany a bean can be ;). I will look for that thread and read it but I still hope to get some input from other bean lovers.
    Thank you
    Mel

• barbara_mel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are some good answers.

Here is a link that might be useful: What kind of green bean do you like and why?

• wzlcin
    17 years ago

We have a family bean that I'm getting ready to pass on to the 5th generation. My aunt thought it was a fava bean, but it doesn't match that description. We've only used them as a dried bean; it has a hearty, meaty flavor. It is a pole bean and has red blooms. The pod is 5-7" long with black & brownish-red seeds when dried. The bean is approximately 2 cm long, 1 cm wide and 1/2 cm thick. I have a picture that I would gladly email if needed to identify.
    ~cin

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

cin,

Sounds like a runner bean to me, particularly with the red flowers and the size of the beans.

• tedposey
    17 years ago

I found Blue Lake to be more prolific than Ky. Wonder but not as flavorful. Rattlesnake is another good one. Ky. Blue is supposed to combine the best qualities of both but in my experience ( One year only )it missed both. Roma ll is undoubtedly the best bush bean I've grown.
    I like French Horticulture bush bean for shellies. and Christmas Limas for butterbeans.

• jackier123
    17 years ago

My favorite bean is a red peanut bean. We call them pink tips here. The only problem with them is that they are small and stringy and take forever to string and break for canning. Greatest flavor of any bean I know though.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Jackier, is that the red peanut from Mayo? That is, it's a six-week bush bean?

• jimster
    17 years ago

Red peanut is a new one to me. Can you tell me more about it?

Jim

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

If it's the same one I'm familiar with, Jim, Red Peanut is a bush variety that bears in about 45 days. As the pods mature they turn pink.

Mayo Seeds, of Knoxville, is the supplier of the Red Peanut. But often it is private branded. Southern States, for instance, carries it under its own name.

Red Peanut is a commercial version of the Bailey's Six Week bean in my collection. That one goes back in the Bailey family of northeastern Kentucky for about 150 years. Whether the Bailey's got it as a commercial variety, originally, depondent sayeth not.

By me the Bailey's produces in 43 days. The pink begins to show at the tips once the pods are past their prime as snap beans. Eventually the entire pod turns a deep pink, almost red, and the beans are also reddish pink, and about the size and shape of peanuts while in the fresh shelly stage.

Although they do have zipper strings, the Bailey's does not otherwise turn stringy or fibrous, but does toughen up once it goes through the color change.

They have a rich, beany flavor, and make a great canning bean as either snaps or shellies.

• jackier123
    17 years ago

Yes, I am pretty sure it is from Mayo. I live in Cleveland, TN just south of Knoxville and can get it here and got it in Rogersville, TN just North of Knoxville. It is an early bean, but as I said, takes forever to break a canner full.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The majority of heirloom beans have zipper strings, Jackie. Maybe because of that we're used to stringing them, but we never found the Bailey's (Red Peanut) to be particularly irksome.

Normally we'll pop a video in, and watch the movie while we string the beans.

Only difference is that most of the varieties we grow are pole types, so there are rarely as many to do all at once as there are with a bush bean.

But the taste of this one is worth any trouble, IMO.

• nikkisgarden
    15 years ago

My favorite bean is the Blue Lake 274's. They get big and have a wonderful taste. This is the most popular type of bean in my area. I have a lot of people wanting to buy the beans because they taste so good.

• carolync1
    15 years ago

Romanette is sweeter than a typical Roma type but not quite so beany in flavor. It is very tender. I like the compromise between the Roma flavor and sweetness. I appreciate it here for its heat tolerance, which approaches some of the heat-setting types like Brio or Festina. My mother-in-law likes 'Contender' for beany flavor, but it is not as sweet. I think some of the pole varieties are "beanier" than the two I have named here.

You can get Romanette from Crosman's Seed for a reasonable price. Johnny's replaced it in their catalog with a more typical Roma this year.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz