Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking specifically for a cutshort green bean

Posted by 4SEASONca Western NC 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 9:44

I had the privilege of eating at a friends home and we had the most delicious beans I think I've ever eaten. They had that true beany taste so very rich and satisfying. My friends said they had runner characteristics and gave me a few not fully ripe pods. Description: about 31/2 to 4 inches lone, look very similar to cutshorts, the beans bulging in the pods. They have pink to scarlet markings that seem much more dense on the more mature ones. I would love to find some seed if possible. Can anyone take a guess as to what they are? Also could you tell me if, even though they do not appear to be fully ripe or brown shelled, could I let them fully dry and use them for seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking specifically for a cutshort green bean

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:09

If pods have become at all leathery, the seeds are as viable as they can ever be. If the bulging pods have changed color, many of the seeds will be viable. If the seeds have changed color from the immature stage, many of them will be viable. If the seeds are full size, some of them should be viable.

This post was edited by drloyd on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:13

o

If anyone could possibly know the variety it might be the friend you dined with.

Perhaps contacting him/her, explaining that they were the most delicious beans you think you have ever eaten, would get you a small supply of fully dried beans for planting. :)

Gary

o

Gary, I did that and they did share some seeds.The problem is they do not seem to remember who gave them the seeds nor where they got them. But I have about 40 seeds to work with and will expand that this next year. I've obtained some other greasy back cut-short bean seed and they are not nearly as large nor round as these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here