Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

cowpeas in MA

pnbrown
11 years ago

I planted a bunch of black-eyed peas this season that I had bought last fall for eating purposes, but did not eat much of because they were not very flavorful. So I have no idea what variety of black-eyed pea they are, but they are doing quite well as seen in the photo. I expect to harvest a pretty good amount as dry beans.

Hopefully they will be a lot tastier this time around:

Comments (12)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Eat them in the shellie stage instead of dry, they taste much better tat way!

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do, not nearly as good as beans, IMO.

• jimster
    11 years ago

From what I have read on these forums, Black-Eyed peas are not one of the best tasting cowpeas. Try Pink Eye Purple Hull peas or one of the others. Cook them with a bit of any kind of pork fat. Serve over non-sweet corn bread with some of the pot liquor and some hot sauce.

BTW, I find cowpeas to be a reliable, trouble free crop in our region. Yours look great!

Jim

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howdy Jim!

I have a couple of other cowpea varieties going, but haven't yet tasted them separately in contrast with black-eyed.

BTW, I got MBB pretty bad again this year on the Phaseolus, after a near-abscence last year. Luckily it came in pretty late and the plants produced pretty well before the infestation. How was it over there?

• jimster
    11 years ago

I haven't seen one MBB this year. The P. foveolatus treatment back in 2007 has paid off magnificently.

And, the pole beans are producing like crazy this year, after last year's weird crop failure.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: P. foveolatus Project

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Really? You attribute it to the 2007 wasp treatment? Your gardens must be a goodly distance from any large growers.

• hementia8
    11 years ago

My favorites are RED RIPPER and RED BISBEE
    Both are very simular, producing 10" pods and very productive
    Charlie

• jimster
    11 years ago

"Really? You attribute it to the 2007 wasp treatment?"

Yep.

"Your gardens must be a goodly distance from any large growers."

Yep.

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

Don't give up on southern peas! Of all the southern peas Black Eyed are the worst for flavor. I stopped growing them all together because of that. Red rippers are very good, but my favorites are zipper creams and conch peas which are the most popular in my neck of the woods. The texture and flavor can't be beat.

• jimster
    11 years ago

ocalagirls,

I sometimes visit Ocala. Can you tell me a seed and feed store where I can get bulk seeds. I found a place like that several years ago but can't remember exactly where it is. Somewhere in the downtown area.

Jim

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, as I said earlier I have 2-3 other cowpeas going this year besides black-eye. One is nearly as big and round as a Romano bean. Huge and easy to shell. I'll definitely save that one.

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

You're probably thinking of Seminole Feed. It's downtown on Watula Ave.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994