Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cowpeas in MA

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 10:19

I planted a bunch of black-eyed peas this season that I had bought last fall for eating purposes, but did not eat much of because they were not very flavorful. So I have no idea what variety of black-eyed pea they are, but they are doing quite well as seen in the photo. I expect to harvest a pretty good amount as dry beans.

Hopefully they will be a lot tastier this time around:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cowpeas in MA

Eat them in the shellie stage instead of dry, they taste much better tat way!

o

I do, not nearly as good as beans, IMO.

o

From what I have read on these forums, Black-Eyed peas are not one of the best tasting cowpeas. Try Pink Eye Purple Hull peas or one of the others. Cook them with a bit of any kind of pork fat. Serve over non-sweet corn bread with some of the pot liquor and some hot sauce.

BTW, I find cowpeas to be a reliable, trouble free crop in our region. Yours look great!

Jim

o

Howdy Jim!

I have a couple of other cowpea varieties going, but haven't yet tasted them separately in contrast with black-eyed.

BTW, I got MBB pretty bad again this year on the Phaseolus, after a near-abscence last year. Luckily it came in pretty late and the plants produced pretty well before the infestation. How was it over there?

o

I haven't seen one MBB this year. The P. foveolatus treatment back in 2007 has paid off magnificently.

And, the pole beans are producing like crazy this year, after last year's weird crop failure.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: P. foveolatus Project

o

Really? You attribute it to the 2007 wasp treatment? Your gardens must be a goodly distance from any large growers.

o

My favorites are RED RIPPER and RED BISBEE
Both are very simular, producing 10" pods and very productive
Charlie

o

"Really? You attribute it to the 2007 wasp treatment?"

Yep.

"Your gardens must be a goodly distance from any large growers."

Yep.

o

Don't give up on southern peas! Of all the southern peas Black Eyed are the worst for flavor. I stopped growing them all together because of that. Red rippers are very good, but my favorites are zipper creams and conch peas which are the most popular in my neck of the woods. The texture and flavor can't be beat.

o

ocalagirls,

I sometimes visit Ocala. Can you tell me a seed and feed store where I can get bulk seeds. I found a place like that several years ago but can't remember exactly where it is. Somewhere in the downtown area.

Jim

o

Yes, as I said earlier I have 2-3 other cowpeas going this year besides black-eye. One is nearly as big and round as a Romano bean. Huge and easy to shell. I'll definitely save that one.

o

You're probably thinking of Seminole Feed. It's downtown on Watula Ave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here