Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fagioli di Spagna

Posted by LoboGothic 6b SW Ontario CANADA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 10:39

These are the largest of the 4 bigger runner varieties I grew this year. The biggest shellies are 1 1/2" long.

I grew Gigandes, Soissons Gros Blanc de Rames, Samos Greek Lima and this one, Fagioli di Spagna. Not sure about how the pods should look at the perfect shelly stage. I'm shelling out a few of the FdS now and here's a photo.

Lots of questions - what is the easiest way to shell these? Anyone blanch them in the pods to soften them and make them easier to open?

How do BP&L forum folk like to cook and eat these?

We're into cooler weather with frost warnings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fagioli di Spagna

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 17:57

I wonder if these are the same as the Bianco di Spagna that I have grown a couple times. Shellies were huge with one or two reaching 1 3/4 inch long. They are hard to shell while the hulls are green and easier when they are yellow and rubbery or dry.

My favorite way to use them is still your dressing recipe that uses olive oil, vinegar, garlic etc.

o
RE: di Spagna Bianco

Ooops, thank you drloyd, yes you are right. I checked my bean list and sure enough, they're listed as di Spagna Bianco. I found them at Weston Seeds here in Ontario - they import a wide selection of Italian bean seed varieties.

So far I've tried the Samos Greek Lima in soup and it's wonderfully delicious with its thin skin and creamy texture. I'll report back on the others, just beginning to harvest them.

o
RE: Fagioli di Spagna

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 9:26

I would like to try Samos Greek Lima. The sources seem to be in Canada.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here