Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snap Bean Succession Planting

Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 10:45

Here in the PNW we can't grow Lima beans or many of the long season common beans apart from growing them in a greenhouse. But we can more or less reliably keep ourselves supplied with pole snaps all of August through the end of October. Earlier if we grow bush snaps or start Emerite in pots.

Perhaps it is my Appalachian ancestry, but I consider full beans - beans that are eaten when the seeds are mature - to be superior to ordinary green beans. So the goal is to have full beans available every day for as much of the season as possible. Here is what I did for snap bean succession this year. They were all planted about June 1. Emerite and Fortex were enjoyed until the Aunt Jean's kicked in.

Emerite
Fortex
Aunt Jean's (good until they are yellow and starting to dry)
Anellino Giallo (good until they start to dry)
Red Eye Greasy/Hazard Fall/Leslie Tenderpod
Tobacco Worm (good until they are yellow and starting to dry)
White Simpson Greasy (good until they are yellow and starting to dry)
North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort (good until they are yellow and starting to dry) - Dick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snap Bean Succession Planting

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 9:55

Aunt Jean's held up under our unusual September torrential rains while Tobacco Worm plants died. For those with moderate temperature summers but limited space who want to try full beans, Aunt Jean's could be planted in peat pots for an early crop that will last most of the summer and direct seed some more in late June for a fall crop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here