Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolj

What kind of bean dip do you make at home?

jolj
11 years ago

I love my wife's Hummus, all the different ways & types of beans/peas she uses.

But I would like to know what other kind of bean/pea dips are used in the Legume world.

Comments (27)

• flintknapper
    11 years ago

Hi Joel. I've been waiting to see if other folks were making dip with their left over beans. If they are not doing it they don't know what they are missing. I've made three batches with BJBBs using the receipe you sent me and it is really good. I also made one batch with willow leaf limas and it was great eating too. The dip using the BJBBS looks just like chocolate pudding. Thanks again for the good receipe.

• jolj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I never used butter beans in my dips, have to try it.
    Does the HBJBB's dip taste like chocolate too?
    What kind of oil do you use?
    Thanks for the reply.

• flintknapper
    11 years ago

Nope, It does not taste like chocolate but it sure looks like it. I sent you a pic of it so you could see the resemblance. I used olive oil but replaced the cumin with red pepper. I made a batch yesterday with chick peas but in my opinion the BJBBs make a much better dip. I'm sure glad they do because I have a bumper crop this year and will harvest plenty more until frost which in a normal year is the last part of November. I also have some German Red Bush Limas and some 1880s butterbeans that will get tested .

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Can you post the recipe Harry? I've got a bumper crop too!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I made the Hummus recipe that you sent me with some BJBB's Harry. It is delicious!

I used raw sesame seeds since I had some in the cupboard. I also used fresh dried oregano and a touch of onion powder instead of the cumin.

I also made some using my Hercules peas instead of BJBB's, it was delicious also!

Thanks Harry!

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

Anyone got a good recipe for this thread? Something that adapts well to all the fabulous beans we're growing?

It's been a great year here in southwestern Ontario. Just finished harvesting many bush and pole varieties and have respectable yields. Now if I could only keep the rabbits out of the soybeans as they're pushing up through the soil in the spring. Lost quite a few varieties to those critters this year.

• jolj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DW is not here, but her Texas Caviar is made with 4 beans(Blk Beans, small Red Beans,a Large Red Bean, & a white Bean), Blk eye Peas & White Corn. But you can use any combo of beans/peas you have on hand. The thing is to make it colorful & taste good. If your beans are dry then mix them & let them soak together. If you find a combo you like then please share with us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this with your beans

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Is the recipe for hummus the same as the Texas Cavier recipe?

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

jolj, what spices does your DW like to use?

drloyd, to my knowledge, traditional hummus is made of chick peas, tahini paste and garlic with some lemon juice and garnished with olive oil. You can make a nice bean dip, same idea but use different beans.

This is making me hungry.

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Hi LoboGothic. It appears that Joel has a special recipe and I am hoping that he will spill the beans!

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

drloyd - the 'Texas caviar' in the link looks like a mixed bean salad, not a hummus or dip. For the latter the chickpeas/beans would be mashed up, not whole.

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Hi Flora. My thoughts exactly. I have a lot of dried beans and frozen shellies that might work well for their dip recipe.

I hope you had a good gardening year there. Our June was very cold and wet but September made up for it and we still had usable beans until the first couple days of November. - Dick

• flintknapper
    11 years ago

drloyd, I'll spill the beans for you.

Hummus recipe as received from Joel

2- 15 oz cans of chickpeas one drained and one with liquid
    1/3 cup tahini,stirred well or 1/4 cup raw sesame seed
    1 table spoon of olive oil
    1/4 cup of lemon juice
    1 garlic clove peeled
    1 teapoon ground cumin
    salt to taste

place all ingreidents in a blender, except salt, in the order they are listed
    pulse on and off until ingredients move freely and slowly increase speed to high.
    blend one minute and salt to taste.

I cut the recipe in half and since I'm no fan of chickpeas or cumin I used Black jungle butter beans my wife cooked and seasoned with red pepper and I really liked it. I have used other left over beans and when none are available I used different types of canned beans with good results . I made a batch with store brand red beans this morning that are mighty good.
    Joel said you can any kind of bean or pea to make good dip.
    Thanks again for the recipe Joel,it's a winner.
    Harry

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Thank you Harry and Joel. I am looking forward to trying this with our frozen shellies. - Dick

• tracydr
    11 years ago

I take amid of kidney, pinto and garbanzo that I can. Add a tiny bit of cheese and our homemade, fermented salsa. It's just amazing!
    I found the garbanzos actually melted into the juice and disappeared, just thickening the juice.
    I've also used purano beans, which I like even better.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ditto on the "thank you". I froze a lot of shellies this year, and harvested a lot of dry beans; I'm really looking forward to trying my hand at bean dip.

"...and our homemade, fermented salsa."

Fermented??? Never heard of such a thing. I certainly don't want to hijack the thread, but could you elucidate? I can a lot of salsa every year.

• tracydr
    11 years ago

I'll have to check with my husband as to the amount of salt that he uses. I think it's about 2 tablespoons per 3 pounds of peppers. He ferments the pepper mash for several weeks, checking it frequently to make sure it doesn't have any mold on top. He then mixes a bit of organic apple cider vinegar or organic red wine vinegar to taste.
    After its properly fermented, basically like making saurkraut or pickles, he adds chopped tomatoes, cilantro and onions. It keeps very well in the fridge, much better than regular pico de gallo or fresh salsa. He makes it very hot with a mixture of peppers, including jalape�os, anaheims and chiltepans.

• drloyd
    11 years ago

This is very similar to the way they make Tabasco sauce except that they ferment it for up to three years.

• tracydr
    11 years ago

Asked hubby, he says 53 grams of salt per 3 cups mash. 6 weeks or until it stops bubbling. He originally used more salt and needs to watch more closely for mold with less salt but it tastes so much better.
    Organic apple cider or organic red wine vinegar just to taste. Doesn't really need the vinegar but it adds a nice dimension. I may try lemon or lime on the next salsa batch.
    Next time, I'm going to try making a fermented salsa, fermenting all the ingredients.

• tracydr
    11 years ago

I make quite a few fermented foods, kimchee, pickles, saurkraut, beets, beans, etc. we had a countertop full this summer! Oh, I also make kombucha and sourdough bread.
    I need to buy some cabbage and make a new batch of saurkraut.

• jolj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I have been off line.
    My Dear wife was in a accident & now has pins in her foot.
    So I am doing most of the house work.
    Thanks Harry for filling the gape.

• flintknapper
    11 years ago

Hi Joel. I've been wondering why we haven't heard from you. I hope your wife's injury is not too bad and that she has a full recovery. My last batch of dip was the best yet. The beans were German Red bush limas and I used almond butter in place of tahini but I also added some fresh sesame seed.
    The German Red lima is a very tasty and productive bean that I have grown for two years and I plan to grow it, along with my BJBBs for the rest of my gardening years. My main problem with it is I'm an old man (85) and it is really tough for me to pick bush beans.This past season I just let most of them dry on the stalks and then pulled them up, took them under a shade tree, sat on a stool and removed them from the vines. The downside to that method is you lose a a lot of immature pods.
    I've had another plesant surprise. I planted three Doc Martin's limas in June and the vines really loved this Texas heat. They grew like crazy and bloomed profusely but formed no pods until the high temperatures dropped down to the eighties. So far we cooked a large pot full and I have two quarts of dry seed. We had our first lite freeze three days ago with a heavy frost that burnt the new growth. There are still lots of almost mature pods that I can dry and harvest ( NOT BAD FOR ONLY THREE PLANTS IS IT?) I'm going to plant a few early next spring to see if they will set some pods before the weather gets too hot and see if they will continue to grow thru the summer and produce another fall crop.
    Harry

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

Flintknapper, that's what makes this forum so great - a lot of us are mature gardeners with a wealth of experience to share. Yes, I find as I'm getting older I seem to be growing more pole beans each year.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Jolj, wishing your wife a speedy recovery, I broke my ankle a few years back, ended up with a bunch of hardware in it. I'm happy to say it's as good as new now, maybe even a little better :). I plan on freezing more shellies next year, can't wait to try these yummy sounding recipes.

Annette

• flintknapper
    10 years ago

Hi Joel.How did the BJBBs grow for you? Did you ever make a batch from them? I just brewed up a batch with the BJBBs and I still love it, but your receipe is great with every variety of bean I have used.
    I hope you and your wife are in tip top shape now and that her foot has completly healed.
    Harry

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

Hey Harry!

I just wanted to let you know about the 4 per pod BJBB's.

I planted them far away from the others and a lot of them produced 4 per pod. I had three pods with 5 seed but one of them in each one was really small.

I saved the 4's for seed and plan to plant them far away from the others again in about two weeks. Too cool and wet right now. Maybe they will eventually be all 4's?

Some of the 3 per pod plants produced some 4's but I just ate them.

I have still been spreading them around to other gardeners. I saved two gallons of seed to give away and sent them to people that e-mailed me last year wanting some after I ran out of seed.

The reports that I got back from people that grew them last year were mixed. Some people loved them and some said they were just OK.

Most of the people that liked them were from warmer climates. Southern US, Colombia SA, Egypt, and so on.

Thanks again Harry!

Ted

• flintknapper
    10 years ago

Hi Ted. I didn't have much luck with the 4 seed per pod test either. They produce so well for me in this hot Texas weather it doesn't matter that much anyway. Instead of you thanking me, you and gardeners like you deserve the thanks for spreading the BJBBs around the USA and part of the world.It was my goal to prevent them from extinction and I think we have done that.
    Harry

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm