Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my black eyed peas?

Posted by veeta 7 VA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:33

I returned from a week away to find that my black eye pea crop was being decimated. The plants look perfect except for the peas being eaten from the pod, with some shriveling. They are on a trellis, so too high for rabbits (who seem to prefer the green plant parts anyway). They look too "neat" for birds to be eating them. I would think birds would pull the whole thing down, not adeptly balance on a string of the trellis.
I have killed half a dozen stink bugs (I think brown marmorated)--could they have eaten the beans? Or is something I am not seeing laying its eggs in the beans? Any ideas?
In addition to hand picking any further stink bugs, there are numerous lady bugs, wasps, and even some assassin bugs in the vicinity, so that's hopeful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my black eyed peas?

I have trouble with Cardinals,turkeys and quail stripping the peas from their shell
Cardinals are the main culprit when they are still green
Charlie

o

"The plants look perfect except for the peas being eaten from the pod, with some shriveling."

Do you mean that the pods have been opened, and the seeds removed? Was the pod chewed open?

Voles are a frequent culprit here, they will harvest the seeds of legumes as they begin to ripen. For the most part, they prefer to harvest seeds close to the ground, often pulling plants down; but they can climb as well. Last year they climbed the trellis to harvest seeds from my yardlongs... they must have been hanging from the pods as they did so. I put a few rat traps out, which put an end to their pilfering.

o

I definitely have voles in my yard--and I have seen a chipmunk a couple times. argh!
They are just doing it so cleanly--bean removed, pod left hanging intact, that I could not determine the culprit, and I wondered if the wasps were after something I could not see.
There is no point in trapping--they have so much territory in my neighbors wild yard. Maybe a bird net will hamper them--at least slow them down.

o

It is definatly cardinals here
Only the upper peas are stripped
I have a lot of voles that destroy plants and sometimes chew on peas,,shell and all
They tend to like poles and fence lines and we find many of their quarter sized holes when cleaning up
We have used Decon and Juicy Fruit gum without making a dent in their population
Charlie

o

I wrapped the entire trellis in taut bird netting last week, and so far so good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here