Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing of dry bush bean rows

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 12:11

I grow some dry bush beans and some cowpeas for the first time this year and they turned out pretty good, but I would like to get a bigger yield.

I planted them in rows with spacing of 3 feet. Is it possible to plant the rows side by side, with 8 inches of spacing to better utilize my garden space? I figured the tight row spacing would help keep the weeds down.

Is this spacing going to cause the beans to be more disease prone or cause other problems?

thanks,
Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing of dry bush bean rows

Hi Dean,

I plant bush beans in beds that are 3-1/2 feet wide. There are three rows per bed, spaced 12 inches apart. Beans that do a lot of branching such as "PI507984" are spaced 12 inches apart in the rows. In other words, 12 inches apart both ways. Beans that make smaller plants can be grown 8 inches apart both ways. Dick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here