Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowcap bean?

Posted by ernie_tn (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 12:55

If anyone has grown this bean I would appreciate any information you could give me on it. One web site said the vines grow about 5 feet and another said they grow about 10 feet. I would like to have a general idea of what to expect from them. I plan to get the seed from Victory Seed. Thanks.

Ernie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowcap bean?

All I know about this one, is that it is a pole bean (dry shelling type) with a relatively short (6- 8 foot) vine.

o

I am growing Snowcaps on 8 foot poles that have 1-1/2 feet in the ground and 6-1/2 feet above. Some of the plants did not quite reach the tops fo the poles. Others went up to 2 feet above the tops and then entwined with vines from neighboring poles.

o

Thanks for the info. That's what I need to know.

Ernie

o

I ran across this source, with pic, for seeds. They list it as a pole bean. They give Snowcap a good recommendation.

I have ordered from Victory and consider them a good seed company. It's a family run outfit. They have a lot of varieties that interest me, both beans and other veggies.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowcap Beans at Victory Seeds

o

Look at the pic of Papa De Rola (aka Dove's Breast) beans linked below. Don't they look a lot like Snowcap?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Papa De Rola Beans at Baker Creek

o

We have been steaming some of our shelly beans in the pods and serving them that way. Sometimes the pods are edible (apart from the strings).

Tonight some of the Snowcap beans were plumping up so I tried it with them. The seeds were just starting to show their colors. The shellies are very good, but the pods are very fibrous. Better to shell them first. It looks like they may make a crop for us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here